ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BEST TANK MATE FOR DISCUS

Default Re: BEST TANK MATE FOR DISCUS

I have a 14" black ghost knifefish in with my discus that grew up with them and is great in the tank. I also have l213 ancistrus plecos in there too.
    --Don--

Registered Member

Iv'e kept cardinals and l-134 with them in the past without problems. On the opposite side of the scale i too have kept discus with ottos giving bad results. So i'll vouch for the people calling that a bad mixture

Registered Member

I have chocolate gourami, Congo tetra, red Sepea tetra and a few Cory. All doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

I think a couple of juvenile red tail sharks,albino and rainbow sharks,botias are good and give some nice color to the tank

Registered Member

Ganesan, have you actually kept any of those fish with Discus?

Registered Member

I also had problem with wild caught otos sucking the slime off my discus, so I will avoid them.
    I kept torpedo barbs with discus before but the barbs lost their red bands, which I was told was due to the high temperature.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Yes, we get red tail,albino sharks commonly at LFS and I have kept them with Discus, but only juveniles not more than an inch and a half and about 3 to 4 numbers in a 90G tank they keep playing with themselves and not bothering the bigger discus.Only require some hiding places.They also eat food left overs in the bottom.Another fish I have kept for years with discus are Chinese algae eaters sometimes called Asiatica I think.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay West

I fine certain botias and sharks/catifish are just too aggressive at feeding time to keep with discus. Though you want a tankmate that will clean up the floor, you dont want one that will compete with the discus, just a clean up crew. Most discus do some bottom clean up work after the initial feeding drop anyway, so (especially if you are growing out discus with tank mates) i wouldnt keep anything other than tetras and small corys.

Registered Member

Red tail sharks, albino red tail sharks and rainbow sharks all get too large too quick to be discus tankmates. They will be very territorial once they reach an average size and will be very boisterous and disturb the discus. They are also not the cleanest of fish. If I were you, I would remove them at the earliest and put them in another tank or return them to the LFS in exchange for other suitable fish. Never add a fish just because it is colourful, small and commonly available at your LFS without knowing about it.

Real Name
    TONY

Aside from the various tetras, cories, plecos & other interesting companions, I believe I have one not mentioned. Raphael cats seem to do quite well. Both the striped & spotted have very little interaction w/ the discus & are good at policing the area for leftovers. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay West

I have a Striped raphael and a few skunk botias which are active but too small to intimidate the discus. A little more fun to look at that cories as well. More active and playful without the drawbacks of larger sized botia/loaches. Tough to find sometimes though.

Jay

Registered Member

I keep a tire track eel now.

I previous tank I had a bla ghost knife fish about 8" and another tire track eel which was about 10"

No problem. Had it for over a year.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    William

I currently have angelfish, white finned tetras, penguin tetras, rainbow sharks, assorted danios, assorted platy's and everyone is getting along just fine I recently added my Discus last week!

Registered Member

Cory Sterbai! best discus tank mates I've ever had. they dont come up to my face when I make funny fish kissing sounds though

Registered Member

Rams work well for me. They are great for bottom to mid level cleanup and don't get into a feeding frenzy like my congos and cardinals used to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast