AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Looking for Levamisole in Canada

Registered Member

Default Looking for Levamisole in Canada

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am looking to buy some Levamisole to help deworm my fish.

Does anyone know where I can get some in Canada? If no one sell them in Canada, who in the states import this medication?

Thanks.

Chi.

Registered Member

Default Re: Looking for Levamisole in Canada

i used www.canadianaquatics.com
    and got some to Toronto last year.

Registered Member

Thank you kind Rudra for the link.

I have contacted the person in charge and awaiting a reply back.

However while continuing my research I came across 2 products that contains Levamisole. These products are used to treat birds infected with worms. I was wondering if anyone has use these products with success because they can be great alternative to the hard to get Levamisole (for those living in Canada).

Avitrol Plus 100ml (http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/...ic=703&eq=&Tp=)
    Worm Enda Plus (http://www.canadavet.com/Worm-Enda-P...-P161C149.aspx)

Both of these company ship to Canadians.

Those that have used these products, can you please provide some feedbacks?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Chi.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Yes that is all I use now is avitrol plus from your above vetproductsdirect link. I get it in 2 ltrs seems to work well with the combination of prazi and Levamisole so covers the spectrum of worms. I use it at 1.5ml per 100ltrs and leave them in it for at least 24 hrs, then a big water change and a follow up treatment after 7 days. Just have to watch it if you have scaless fish I would half the dose.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

Hi Timmy,

Thanks for the feedback.

Does this product cloudy water and such? I have been reading online and I get mixed review. Some say that you need to empty your tank later and do a good cleaning when the fish are healthy.

Have you noticed the "cleanliness" of this product? Basically does it cause a lot of foam, does it leave streaks in the tank or does it dirty your tank, etc..

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealFishKeeper View Post
    Hi Timmy,

Thanks for the feedback.

Does this product cloudy water and such? I have been reading online and I get mixed review. Some say that you need to empty your tank later and do a good cleaning when the fish are healthy.

Have you noticed the "cleanliness" of this product? Basically does it cause a lot of foam, does it leave streaks in the tank or does it dirty your tank, etc..

Thanks again.
    It doesn't foam or streak. After 18 hrs or so the water does cloud up sometimes that part doesn't worry me as when i am treating any fish they are in their own qt isolated tank. After 24 hrs i change 90% of the water it takes a day or so for the water to fully clear.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

Thanks Timmy for the info, much appreciated.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Monica

The Cattle dewormer version is stronger and a better buy. You'll barely need any for future needs. I bought a bag and it'll probably last me years. You can also type online and find levamisole online calculators.

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

I don't know about Canada, but if you needed it in a hurry, contact a local veterinarian. In the US, most have it in office or are willing to write a prescription if you tell them why you need it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Monica

I bought it online from one of those stores that sell livestock and dog/cat supplies. I didn't need a prescription. You just have to order a bag of cattle dewormer. The key thing is to be careful on the dosage. I know I had a tank full of fish infested with the camallanus worm which is a nightmare. The stuff was the only stuff that worked. I lost some fish (too far gone) but it got the worms out of the fish and then it was a matter of lots and lots of water changes and cleaning the gravel over and over till I managed to remove it all. It took about three weeks and also two treatments to get rid of them completely. I'd tried before with others but the cattle dewormer is stronger. The pigeon stuff is actually more expensive and you'll have to use up the entire bottle. Although the other poster is correct, if it's an emergency - a vet should be able to help. I'm not sure how familiar they are with the problem so you may want to call around and find someone who specializes in fish.
    Last edited by monilovesdiscus; 03-30-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add something