ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Honey Gouramis

Registered Member

Default Honey Gouramis

Has anyone kept them with Discus? My LFS has some. Very pretty with yellowish bodies and red tails. These were about 1" and I was told they do not get much bigger. I looked on the net and read they grow to 2". I often read on the net about the size range of aquarium fish and I never see ones near the maximum size. I think the net says cardinals grow to 2 inches but I have never seen them near that size. My main concern is how are they at Discus temps?

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Default Re: Honey Gouramis

They will be fine with discus. I raise the tank temp in my dewarf honey's to 28 - 29c to get to spawn.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

Thanks Timmy. I assume you know there are Dwarf Gouramis and Honey Gouramis. In NYC where I live and according to the net Honeys are smaller than Dwarfs, they are the smallest Gouramis. You call them Dwarf Honeys, that could be the common name in Australia. Timmy, how big do yours get?

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Yeh i'm not too sure on all the Gouramis i know of the few different ones the pearl Gouramis is common and gets to 4" or so then there are the giant Gouramis that get very big 8 - 10" I think. and then the dwarf Gouramis get around the 2 - 3" and the dwarf honey Gouramis I have the male maybe max 1 1/2" and females fatter and a little shorter. The male goes a real strong yellow and gets a red throat when in full breeding color the female is a dull yellow sometime greenish. I find the larger of the Gouramis are hungry and quick and not really good to be with Discus as they steal the food fast. The dwarf honey's are the quietest and peaceful out of them all and just hang around.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

I have kept honey gouramis. They grow to about 2/3 the size of dwarf gouramis or about 2 inches. Dwarf gouramis are also nice, very different in color (honey yellow for honeys and vertical red and blue stripes for dwarfs).

All of the gouramis like hot water to be happy.

Ron

Registered Member

Thanks Timmy and Ron, I will get some this week if they are still available.

Registered Member

Minor correction, I have Red Tailed Honey Gouramis. Hopefully they will add more red as they grow.