AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 280 Gallon Planted Discus Aquarium Build

Default 280 Gallon Planted Discus Aquarium Build

I never thought the day would get here, but it all sort of begins today.

My tank arrived at 10:00 am eastern this morning just as planned on a 53' semi truck. It could not have been more perfect really,
    the semi went around my cul-de-sac and up my driveway. Even though the driver didn't want it at first I gave him 20 bucks as I knew what was next.

Nothing spells trepidation like looking in the bed of that semi, and seeing this monster of a tank banded to two wooden pallets, it seemed to be saying "Good luck getting me down"
    The driver and I were able to lever the tank down onto it's side though without much effort. He pulled the truck away, and we lowered it onto a dolly that I had borrowed for just this occasion. Pushed it into the garage, and away he went.

Here are some details:

96x24x28 from Midwest Custom Aquarium. except for the .5 inch top, the tank is 3/4 inch Acrylic.

Arriving tomorrow, a 135 gallon tank that will be used as the sump. I am guessing the total useable water volume of the system will be around 350 - 360 gallons.

I have ordered a customized background for the tank from Aqua-maniacs. It will come in four pieces, but luckily, because of the large sump, I can put the background all the way back, as almost no equipment will be showing.

I will be replicating some of the work that I have done with my 100 gallon Angel tank, i.e. C02 system, led lghting, water change system and so on.

Next steps:

Movers are coming on Saturday to take the main tank and the sump through the basement window to my office. The tank was designed around the window opening to leave a spare inch. My builders are coming in November to build my cabinet for it. I just had the office wainscoted earlier this year, and we will continue with that theme for the cabinet. They will also do some special plumbing for me to carry off the waste water, as this will be a continual change system as I have used on all current and past efforts.

I'm excited to get the party started, and will up date this journal as we make progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frankr409; 10-28-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nigel

Default Re: 280 Gallon Planted Discus Aquarium Build

Oh this is gonna be sweet.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Frank, I have a 230 acrylic tank (72x24x30) and I love my tank but it is a beast to move. Look forward to seeing you get this put together.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Good luck Frank. Can't wait to see how this progresses.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Can't wait to see it Frank. Good luck.

Mishka

The baby brother arrived last night, this is the 134 gallon sump tank that will be the main filter. It should allow me to do a few things, aside from the buffer you get with extra water.

I'm planning on:
    1. Sock filters to start
    2. Poret Foam
    3. Kaldnes section
    4. A section wil Poret walls where I can drop media bags of Purigen, or what have you.
    5. A heater and pump section

The only part of my plan that I am beginning to question, was adding another filter, like an FX6 or a big Eheim. I am beginning to doubt the necessity.

Saturday all this gets moved into my basement office. Let's hope it is a good day.

Today was moving day. The goal: Get three aquariums in the basement without breaking anything.
    My movers showed up pretty much on time, they get out of the truck and one is a tall, thin sort of kid maybe 6-6 (I'm 6-5) and an older man, short and thin looking as well. Maybe he was 5-9. Together they could not have weighed much more than me from the looks of it,
    and all I could think was "Oh SH!*"

Luckily, I had a good plan for getting the 320 pound tank easily into the basement through my office window. As planned, we were able to push the tank across the grass to the office window, and lever it through to the waiting stand that I had available on the inside. The old man was skeptical, but once we got some locomotion behind it, my self included, the tank moved smoothly over my lawn which is a dense Kentucky blue grass carpet. Next they brought down the 130 gallon sump. They chose to go down the steps with it, which was fine, and they parked that in the adjoining mechanical room where all of the plumbing will be.

Next Step will be drilling holes for bulkheads and construction of the stand and all of the plumbing around the Thanksgiving timeframe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WTG Frank. Can't wait to hear and see more.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

I look forward to seeing you set this up. I hope you are going to post pictures along the way. Good luck

I will be following your progress as well. Are you satisfied with your experiance with Midwest? How far did you have to have it shipped?
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by joanstone View Post
    I will be following your progress as well. Are you satisfied with your experiance with Midwest? How far did you have to have it shipped?
    Chris at Midwest was excellent to work with. He helped with his planning and expertise for sure. It shipped from Starbuck Mn, to South Bend Indiana, and it cost a lot less to do that than I thought it might. Excellent packing job as well. I strongly recommend.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    The baby brother arrived last night, this is the 134 gallon sump tank that will be the main filter. It should allow me to do a few things, aside from the buffer you get with extra water.

I'm planning on:
    1. Sock filters to start
    2. Poret Foam
    3. Kaldnes section
    4. A section wil Poret walls where I can drop media bags of Purigen, or what have you.
    5. A heater and pump section

The only part of my plan that I am beginning to question, was adding another filter, like an FX6 or a big Eheim. I am beginning to doubt the necessity.

Saturday all this gets moved into my basement office. Let's hope it is a good day.
    Everything sounds great its exactly how I have my three hundred set up. Just do your water changes and change the socks once a week with a nice sump flush they will be happy healthy fish……..Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Everything sounds great its exactly how I have my three hundred set up. Just do your water changes and change the socks once a week with a nice sump flush they will be happy healthy fish……..Josie
    And I got this plan right out of Josie's playbook, and she will be my breeder. So as the Roman's would have said, "when your breeder does it, do the same"
    Last edited by Frankr409; 11-02-2013 at 07:05 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    And I got this plan right out of Josie's playbook, and she will be my breeder. So as the Roman's would have said, "when your breeder does it, do the same"
    Awwww thats sweet …..josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Awwww thats sweet …..josie
    +1

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast