AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 280 Gallon Planted Discus Aquarium Build

Default Re: 280 Gallon Planted Discus Aquarium Build

Quote Originally Posted by tolga View Post
    Hi Frank. I've read your thread and watched the video. Your tank is beautiful. I understand you've got rid of your K1 media in the sump. It would be great to have some feedback as to why you've decided to do away with the K1. Was it the noise or some other reason? Is the new configuration any better? Thanks for sharing
    thank you for your comments on my setup. I have no issue with the media at all I know it works. It was my methodology. The method for boiling was it around was air stones. It was off gassing too much co2 for my liking which drove the ph into a high number, even though I use straight RO. People will tell you that Discus can thrive in any water, however, osmotic regulation is a critical concern for me, and I do not think ph values in the 8 range are good for discus fish, and certainly not good for breeding. So the k1 was takend out, and I do the bio through two canisters now with seachem matrix as I mentioned. Whether coincidence or not I feel the fish look better. Secondly, K1 is oxygen intensive it is entirely possible that removing it has contributed somewhat to the fish looking better to my eye.

All of this is purely conjecture on my part and has no basis in science, control studies, etc to back it up.

My final thought is that I allowed ample time to seed the seachem matrix so as not to experience any negative repercussions, so these changes were phased in gradually. I like the look of the sump now as well, it is clean, efficient and simple.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    thank you for your comments on my setup. I have no issue with the media at all I know it works. It was my methodology. The method for boiling was it around was air stones. It was off gassing too much co2 for my liking which drove the ph into a high number, even though I use straight RO. People will tell you that Discus can thrive in any water, however, osmotic regulation is a critical concern for me, and I do not think ph values in the 8 range are good for discus fish, and certainly not good for breeding. So the k1 was takend out, and I do the bio through two canisters now with seachem matrix as I mentioned. Whether coincidence or not I feel the fish look better. Secondly, K1 is oxygen intensive it is entirely possible that removing it has contributed somewhat to the fish looking better to my eye.

All of this is purely conjecture on my part and has no basis in science, control studies, etc to back it up.

My final thought is that I allowed ample time to seed the seachem matrix so as not to experience any negative repercussions, so these changes were phased in gradually. I like the look of the sump now as well, it is clean, efficient and simple.
    you know we want a picture of that sump now

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I'll shoot something when I get home.

Registered Member

Thank you very much for that detailed and informative explanation. It was very helpful.
    Tolga

Real Name
    Dave

Frank,
    How are you liking that FX6?

I am thinking of one of those to replace a Magnum 350 canister, a Fluval 406 canister, and a Marineland Emporer 280 HOB on my 75 gallon. I am going to put the output of the FX6 into a spray bar to keep current down.

I also am planning on getting a low flow (120 or so GPM) submersible pump to pull water through a foam filter and out through a Coralife 18W UV light.

Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Frank,
    How are you liking that FX6?

I am thinking of one of those to replace a Magnum 350 canister, a Fluval 406 canister, and a Marineland Emporer 280 HOB on my 75 gallon. I am going to put the output of the FX6 into a spray bar to keep current down.

I also am planning on getting a low flow (120 or so GPM) submersible pump to pull water through a foam filter and out through a Coralife 18W UV light.

Dave
    Dave, I like it quite a bit, I run another one on my 100 gallon tank as well. They are quiet, and they have a lot of basket space, you will like it I bet.

Real Name
    Dave

Thank you Frank for the quick reply.

My other option was to get the rebuild kit for the Fluval 406 just in case (the filter is about two years old) and get a second 406 and then put both output lines at each end of a PVC tube turned into a spray bar. I run the foam and Seachem Matrix, and the Fluval Bio ball media in mine.

I plan to when I change out filters to just use the media already in the filters I will be replacing after rinsing it in tank water.

Again I thank you for a quick reply.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Registered Member

Your tank sounds epic. How physically big is it eg 7ftx3ftx2ft? I thought my 5ft approx 70 gallon tank was big. Gee this must be huge!

Quote Originally Posted by lilsky View Post
    Your tank sounds epic. How physically big is it eg 7ftx3ftx2ft? I thought my 5ft approx 70 gallon tank was big. Gee this must be huge!
    96x24x28 Inches. It was designed to go in through the basement window, with the protective outer box by an inch on the top and sides.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    I'll shoot something when I get home.
    Did you forget to post the sump picture?
    Ron

Thank you Frank for the quick reply.

My other option was to get the rebuild kit for the Fluval 406 just in case (the filter is about two years old) and get a second 406 and then put both output lines at each end of a PVC tube turned into a spray bar. I run the foam and Seachem Matrix, and the Fluval Bio ball media in mine.

I plan to when I change out filters to just use the media already in the filters I will be replacing after rinsing it in tank water.

Again I thank you for a quick reply.
    Hey Dave,

I'm not sure how much experience you have with that series of fluval filters, but I have several of them and have had to replace the impeller shaft many times. They are ceramic and tend to break fairly often. They are also a bit pricey for a little ceramic stick (about $28.00 here), so I stopped using all of my fluval 40X's because it as getting expensive. My marineland canister on the other hand has never given me an issue other than replacing the seal once after about 6 years.

Len

Real Name
    Dave

Len,
    I have been using a single 406 now for a couple years, and have broken one impeller shaft. I know on these you need to buy the rebuild kit once in a while. I also am running a Marineland 350 canister (noisy) with Matrix for the medium, and a large Marineland HOB filter.

The reason for thinking of a second 406 is they are so quiet. But after Frank confirming the FX6 is quiet I probably will go that route as it will save me some space on my stand and free up an outlet. I run Seachem Matrix, Fluval bio media (bio balls/rings), and foam in the 406 now, and would run the same in the FX6. My plan is to get a low flow submersible pump to get tank water from the bottom of the tank through a UV light (Coralife 18Watt Turbo Twist) and the single canister filter which would provide more than adequate filtration.

I would keep the 406 for use when I needed to filter more water, or for another tank.

Not sure how much can be seen here...image.jpg. This is the exhaust from the tank. 200 micron sock there. This first chamber is where I drain all water in my system, at least 100 to 120 gallons per day.

I filter this chamber with a magnum 350 which also acts as my c02 diffuser.

image.jpg. It goes through 4 inches of 10 ppi, Then 3 inches of 20 ppi, finally 2 inches of 30 ppi. Before going to final chamber. The final chamber has a 40w Aqua uv sterilizer, the output of which I pump through reactors containing purigen, and phosban.

Since the output of the uv is slow, I will be soon routing that through another device that contains de*nitrate, but it isn't running yet.

The final chamber is where I return the water via a float valve from an RO system.

Len,
    I have been using a single 406 now for a couple years, and have broken one impeller shaft. I know on these you need to buy the rebuild kit once in a while. I also am running a Marineland 350 canister (noisy) with Matrix for the medium, and a large Marineland HOB filter.

The reason for thinking of a second 406 is they are so quiet. But after Frank confirming the FX6 is quiet I probably will go that route as it will save me some space on my stand and free up an outlet. I run Seachem Matrix, Fluval bio media (bio balls/rings), and foam in the 406 now, and would run the same in the FX6. My plan is to get a low flow submersible pump to get tank water from the bottom of the tank through a UV light (Coralife 18Watt Turbo Twist) and the single canister filter which would provide more than adequate filtration.

I would keep the 406 for use when I needed to filter more water, or for another tank.
    As a backup I can see it. To bad you didn't live close by because I'd gladly give you my Fluval canisters

Len

More additions this week end. I added a de*nitrate reactor to the sump. I plumbed the output of my magnum 350 into the purigen reactor to sufficiently slow the flow. The magnum also is the c02 reactor. Sine the output is well under 50 gallons of water per hour of flow we should be able to get further nitrate reduction.image.jpg

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast