AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pleco on Eggs

Default Pleco on Eggs

Had hard time trying to transfer some pleco to another tank,finally notice a guy hiding inside this cave and unfortunately disturbed her. But excited to see the eggs. I don't have any experience with pleco breeding. How the fertilization happens normally? Any idea, whats next? Thx..

Default Re: Pleco on Eggs

Cool!

The male will take the helm from here as he does most of the work protecting the cave entrance. Let nature do the rest.

Good luck!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Good work the change was enought to trigger. Depending on the L number they should hatch to wrigglers in around 7 days and then FS after their egg sack absorbed about another 7 days all depending on L number. That cave looks too large so don't expect too much. The caves need to be just slightly larger than the adults excluding the petral fins. The male needs to be able to trap / lock the female in the cave with his fins and also the smaller space the male will create a controled enviroment for the young by increase and decrease of waste in the cave.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

oh ok, thx Timmy. got a Q video on this guy

Real Name
    Ralph

Plecos are a pleasure when there not hiding. The way it happens is the male traps the female in the cave until she lays...he then kicks her
    out and the magic chemical is applied. he will fan and tend to the eggs until they hatch about 4 days or so. The fry will eat off their own egg sac
    and then will require feeding fresh hatch brine shrimp or very fine flake. I would take them out and put them in a fry saver secured in the same
    tank or your Discus will eat them. Being that they are Albino Bushy-nose it's best to get them on greens like part steamed zucchini wedges.
    You can check out Planet Catfish site if your in for a read.

Hope this helps, Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Cool ... I thought discus tank is too warm for them to lay egg. Good luck!
    More fry, keep you busy
    Ryan

Thanks Jeff,yea lets see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    The male will take the helm from here as he does most of the work protecting the cave entrance. Let nature do the rest.

Good luck!

Thanks Ralph for the info, noticed other fishes around the cave looking for some food. i'm running out of space right now. Probably, will make some room and give these guys a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Plecos are a pleasure when there not hiding. The way it happens is the male traps the female in the cave until she lays...he then kicks her
    out and the magic chemical is applied. he will fan and tend to the eggs until they hatch about 4 days or so. The fry will eat off their own egg sac
    and then will require feeding fresh hatch brine shrimp or very fine flake. I would take them out and put them in a fry saver secured in the same
    tank or your Discus will eat them. Being that they are Albino Bushy-nose it's best to get them on greens like part steamed zucchini wedges.
    You can check out Planet Catfish site if your in for a read.

Hope this helps, Ralph

Thx Ryan, this week is a fish week for me. Almost on the edge of confirming a surprise discus pair as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdiscus View Post
    Cool ... I thought discus tank is too warm for them to lay egg. Good luck!
    More fry, keep you busy

Nick Klimkowski

Good work, I just had some baby albino bushy nose long fins hatch out about 2 weeks ago. They are not two hard to care for you should do fine. The one thing that I would recommend is keeping them in a more confined area so they can find food easy.
    Last edited by Nick Klimkowski; 11-15-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Have a female pleco with fat belly, i hope she is holding eggs. But little afraid, since i lost a pleco with similar condition. This pleco is not interested in any cones, but looking for a hiding place. She share the discus tank with 82-84deg along with 2 males. I can move them to a separate 10G with two pleco Caves. Suggestion please, what to be done and temp to be maintained etc.