ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 125 Gallon Discus Community Tank Begins

Registered Member

Default Re: 125 Gallon Discus Community Tank Begins

So i've been doing some research on lights. I currently have Finnex Ray 2s and I am afraid they will be way too much light and become an algae farm. I am not planning to put any plants into the tank for the time being.

Anyone have any thoughts on CurrentUSA Satellite LED+? I like the option to control light color. Appreciate some thoughts.

If you are going to buy LEDs get one that has a dimmer for each light frequency. This way you can not only dim the lights but also control the spectrum you want to be dominant.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member

Thanks Dirtyplants, that's exactly what this fixture seems to be doing. My main concern is if there's enough light for a large size tank from single fixture.

DO you have any other recommendations that would work for a discus tank?

That depends on the quality fixture. Quality fixtures will have heat sinks dimmer switches, timers, and lenses. The lenses will determine the spread of the light. You can get 45,75, 90, degree lenses. If you go with 4watt per diode you will have plenty of light to dial down. The thing will be if the light (body frame) is smaller and more squarish it will have to be raised higher to cover more square area. My experience the pre made cheap units rarely cover planted needs.
    Coree

Registered Member

Thought I add some pics of the progress:

1-14-14

1-17-14

1-19-14

1-22-14

1-31-14

2-15-14 - In tank, with water.

Registered Member

There are some side-effects of this project. Although I let it cure for 8 days in the tank, day one with a heater on 24 hours, I still got some leeching in the tank. Did 2 100% water changes, as the water was cloudy and I did see some color in filter moss.

My tap PH is 7.0. PH does still rise to about 7.6-7.8.

And, I am having one hell of a hard time cycling. As the tank was active for the last two years, in preparation for the Discus I cleaned everything as much as I could. Bio-balls were soaked in bleach for 48 hours, then in 3-24hour prime soaks. Tank has been cycling for 2 weeks with ACE Janitorial Ammonia at 2ppm. 48 hours ago I added Dr. Tim's bacteria. Yesterday I added Nutrafin Cycle. Full dose for both. Still 0 nitrites and ammonia is stable at 2ppm.

I think it looks pretty sweet...................
    John

Looks very sweet, is this background sealed? I am wondering about algae buildup? I am considering doing one myself.
    Coree

woah so cool !! i really wanted to make my own since i cannot find one i like enough anywhere. very cool well done !
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

You are an artist11great background and setup. I'd love to know what paint product you used, how you secured it back wall and if you sealed the background with anything. Did you follow the you tube video or make any changes to your method?

You have shown us IT IS possible, Cheers
    kelly

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

This is gorgeous

So have a weird idea about making a background with tree trucks instead of a rock wall. Sort of a half slimline, half 3D.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyplants View Post
    Looks very sweet, is this background sealed? I am wondering about algae buildup? I am considering doing one myself.
    Silicone on all sides, drylok sealer used for the paint.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Udeservit View Post
    You are an artist11great background and setup. I'd love to know what paint product you used, how you secured it back wall and if you sealed the background with anything. Did you follow the you tube video or make any changes to your method?

You have shown us IT IS possible, Cheers
    I used HomeDepot Home Insulation Foam. From what I read lots of people use it. One thing that concerns me a little is that it has a fire deterrent material in it, which is toxic. I am hoping it's toxic only when burnt and is not released into the water.

For the sealing I am using Latex Base DRYLOKŪ Masonry Waterproofer http://www.drylok.com/formulas/latex...-waterproofer/. It's great as it gives it a stone texture, it feels flat and rough to the touch. Drylok comes in 2 colors, white and gray (light gray, almost like ADA stands gray I would say). For colors, I am mixing in Quikrete Concrete Color http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/CementColor.asp. I pretty much got it in every color available, and mixed and matched to get the best possible colors. First coat was solid charcoal/black to cover up the pink of the foam. Next I used 3-4 coats of dark brown, and built up lighter coats after that.

For anyone who ever ventures on this exact adventure, make sure you use the regular drylok, NOT THE EXTREME. Extreme has the anti-mold stuff in it that's toxic to fish.
    Last edited by nvladik; 02-23-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This is gorgeous

So have a weird idea about making a background with tree trucks instead of a rock wall. Sort of a half slimline, half 3D.
    Sound pretty cool, would love to see it when it's finished. For the next one, if I ever get to it, I am going to build vertical cliffs, less horizontal formations.

Quote Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
    There are some side-effects of this project. Although I let it cure for 8 days in the tank, day one with a heater on 24 hours, I still got some leeching in the tank. Did 2 100% water changes, as the water was cloudy and I did see some color in filter moss.

My tap PH is 7.0. PH does still rise to about 7.6-7.8.

And, I am having one hell of a hard time cycling. As the tank was active for the last two years, in preparation for the Discus I cleaned everything as much as I could. Bio-balls were soaked in bleach for 48 hours, then in 3-24hour prime soaks. Tank has been cycling for 2 weeks with ACE Janitorial Ammonia at 2ppm. 48 hours ago I added Dr. Tim's bacteria. Yesterday I added Nutrafin Cycle. Full dose for both. Still 0 nitrites and ammonia is stable at 2ppm.
    I am a little over three weeks in my cycle. I kept my ammonia at 4ppm. At almost 2 weeks, my ammonia dropped to 0ppm and nitrites were 5ppm. In a 24 hour period my ammonia drops from 4ppm to 0ppm. I have been adding ammonia daily to keep it at 4ppm. My thing is waiting for the nitrites to fall to 0ppm. It looks like it spiked, but it is slowly falling. It is around 2ppm now. Maybe if you up your ammonia levels to 4ppm it may get it going. It works for me. Your background looks very nice by the way.
    Sean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast