ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend on the Riviera" Tank...

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default "Weekend on the Riviera" Tank...

Ok, I've had hospital tanks, and QT tanks, and display tanks, but now I've had to set up a "time out" tank!\

My newish blue PB from Hans, the one who grew SO fast and is now about 7.5" decided to challenge my Marlboro Red for alpha position a couple of days ago. I put up with all the biting, chasing and bruising for 2 days because my marlboro is a super placid discus, but at his size I figured he'd settle the fight eventually. It didn't happen, he stopped eating yesterday morning and took to hiding whenever he wasn't being chased and bitten.

When I finally got a good peek at him I saw all the bruises and bite marks and decided to put him in time out so that he can heal up for a few days without the harassment. The blue PB is now chasing ALL the other discus, but not picking on just one, so life is much calmer in the big tank.

Marlboro Man took to the new tank immediately and ran right up to the front to ask for food. He's a bit cramped in a 29 gallon tank, but oh well, it was the best I could do on short notice. LOL

Here he is in his "prison"...staring at me in a very accusing fashion. The red marks all over his face are the bruises and bites...poor guy.

IMG_5052.jpg
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Time Out Tank...

He is a big boy, he needs to man up and put that PB in his place.
    ~JACKLYN~

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Toni, once the big guy heals up what's the next step?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

BOOOOOOO!!! why does victim get punished!?!

ps.. at 7.5" where does that fish hide in the other tank.. LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Hiyas Pat, I'm going to put Marlboro Man back into the main tank once he's all healed. Hopefully by then the blue PB will have established his supreme leadership and won't feel the need to smack the carp out of my peace loving marlboro. The MR has never been the alpha, so I can only assume that he was attacking him because he was the biggest fish in the tank.

ROFLMBO Skip! The 7.5" one is the discus that Hans sent me in September! He was only 6" when I got him and has grown an inch and half in 2 months. The one he's picking on, Marlboro Man, is a whopping 9" and weighs over a pound (yep, I stuck him on my kitchen scales one day when I was transferring him from a QT tank to the main tank).

The tank the marlboro is in right now is 18" high and you can see in the pic that he takes up half of that from top to bottom. He's just too darned big for a 29g tank, but it's all I have other than a 20g tank.
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Hope that works Toni.

I thought the bad boy was supposed to go into time out.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Ok, I've had hospital tanks, and QT tanks, and display tanks, but now I've had to set up a "time out" tank!\

My newish blue PB from Hans, the one who grew SO fast and is now about 7.5" decided to challenge my Marlboro Red for alpha position a couple of days ago. I put up with all the biting, chasing and bruising for 2 days because my marlboro is a super placid discus, but at his size I figured he'd settle the fight eventually. It didn't happen, he stopped eating yesterday morning and took to hiding whenever he wasn't being chased and bitten.

When I finally got a good peek at him I saw all the bruises and bite marks and decided to put him in time out so that he can heal up for a few days without the harassment. The blue PB is now chasing ALL the other discus, but not picking on just one, so life is much calmer in the big tank.

Marlboro Man took to the new tank immediately and ran right up to the front to ask for food. He's a bit cramped in a 29 gallon tank, but oh well, it was the best I could do on short notice. LOL

Here he is in his "prison"...staring at me in a very accusing fashion. The red marks all over his face are the bruises and bites...poor guy.

IMG_5052.jpg

I'm not happy with the people running the country but I'm sure as hell glad you're not one of them, Toni... hell, someone kicks the "carp" out of ya and you throw them in jail? THEN, you let the ***-kicker run free and kick the crap out of everyone else... then saying, "...but life is much calmer now in the big tank"? Dude, please tell me you're not a Pelosi groupie... say it ain't so, Toni... say it ain't so...

My .02... get ***-kicker a girlfriend that he can domestically beat in a 20 gallon while raising some stud PB children. That way you can put Marlboro man back in the big tank... just without his man-card though... wimp
    -Elliot

Oh my gosh, you crack me up Elliot!

It's not at ALL the way you're making it out to be. Putting him in his own tank was doing him a huge favor. He's all banged up and this way he gets a clean warm bath, plenty of his favorite foods and time to heal up without 10 other discus bugging him or trying to steal his yum yums. I fully expect to have to put him on a diet by the time his stay in the "time out" tank is over with. LOL

I didn't figure that putting the studly youngster into time out was going to change much. He'd just sit in there and sulk, all the while planning his next attack for the second he went back to the main tank. Oh and no girlfriends for him at this point. I have high hopes that maybe, just maybe, one of the 5 babies I bought last month will turn out to be a female, but in the meantime my entire tank is full of *** kicking males. Big, fat males who think they rule the world. (I haven't bothered to tell them that they only rule the tank and that should they decide to make a break for it one of these nights they'll find that life outside the tank is short and painful...ending in becoming a crispy lawn decoration)
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Toni, guess you should have called it a Get Well tank vs a Time Out tank. Let me know if you wish me to re-title the thread for you.

LOL, not a bad idea. Actually, we should call it the "Weekend on the Riviera" tank. All the water, views of half nekkid wimmin (on the tv of course) and fine food he can handle.
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: "Weekend on the Riviera" Tank...

Done.

Ah, and they called it the "Affordable Healthcare Act" to make us all feel warm and fuzzy too... Marlboro man just spoke to me, Toni, and he's crying, "Whyyyy!?!?!?! Whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!?!"
    -Elliot

kidding kidding... I'll stop with the political crap... dear God I'll be the first one to scream at someone for bringing politics into my world of "discus peace of mind"....

you know I can't go soft on you, Toni
    -Elliot

But I thought discus weren't suppose to fight?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast