AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience using kurusi wormer plus

Registered Member

Default Experience using kurusi wormer plus

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

i have 4 3 inch discus and 1 5 inch. noticed one of the small ones starting to get quite thin and a couple of them had white poop including the big one.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

white poop still eating heaps apart from big one just always hides when im near and shows no interest in eating

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

treated them with kurusi wormer plus 8 days ago them as recomended treated with a second dose 4 days ago. I live in nz and this is the only thing i could find for internal paracites

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon 6 months old 1 5 inch discus, 4 3 inch discus, 5 corys, 2 brislenose pleco, 10 neons, 1 small red tail shark, 1 small silver shark (thinking of removing sharks)

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% twice a week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

6 months, bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

just started aging water kh is very soft so added coral to filter and stays at 7.8 now

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 29

- ph 7.8

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading unsure

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

tap water

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

One of the small discus was looking quite thin and some had white poop including the big one. i live in nz so had trouble finding a medication so i started soaking food in epsom salt i heard this works. after 4 weeks no results look on internet and only thing i could find was kurusi wormer plus. i treated 8 days ago and as recommended a second treatment 4 days ago. 3 of the little ones look real happy eating like pigs. one of the little ones is still wafer thin and looks to be getting worse fins starting to get tattered but poop is now brown. just wondering is medication still working and will he improve or have i left it to long for him. also the big on is still hiding and has white stringy poop and shows no interest in food. he does swim out when lights are off or no one around. could he just be shy because he is the biggest in with young discus and why has he still got white poop? any advise would be great

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Default Re: Experience using kurusi wormer plus

Prasi isn't any good with bristle nose and scales fish. kurusi is for internal worms and wont do much for parasites. You need metro to clear that but if the others are eating fine and poo is showing worms you might have 2 seperate problems. I would start uping the water changes to 50% a day for a week or more get some epson salt in their too the big one might be clogged. If no luck and they don't improve Metro, I get it prescribe from a human doctor cheaper than vet and other suppliers. In Aus they come in 21 tablet 400mg per tablet. I would get the discus into a seperat QT tank if you can.

The red tail shark should not be kept with discus at all silvers are ok but not ideal and the neons may not like meds too much.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

What are the ingredients/chemical make up of kurusi? Yes if treating for worms need some epson salt. Prazi works well for tape/flat worms and flukes, what works for flat worms may not work for round worms and string worms. I have never used the product, although the UK uses it a lot. QT, finish treating for worms, watch, his appetite, see if he improves, if not try bacteria antibiotic for both gram negative, and positive bacteria.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member

I'm not completely sure what they hav got I just suspect something internal with the white poo and the small one bring thin and if looking strait at him he has a compressed forehead and still eating heaps. Just wondering has anyone used kurusi with results or should I try something different. Metro is to difficult to get here but I hav found somewhere to get prazi. Havnt got a qt tank. Also my big discus when he hides he is slightly darker but when no1 is around he comes out and is back to usual colour but his fins are never fully extended. Also the 3 that eats heaps hav always got a full looking belly. Just wondering is it possible to over feed them or do they healthy full bellys. You mentioned adding Epsom salts will that flush them. How much do I add?

Registered Member

Kusuri wormer plus is flubendazole 50mg/g

What are the chemicals in kurusi? I would like to know just what worm type you are treating for.
    Coree

Registered Member

Unsure of chemicals will check packet when I get home. I'm unsure what worms I'm treating I didn't know different a meds treated different worms. I thought Kusuri would take care of everything internal

If flubendazole:
    broad-spectrum nematicide and taenicide,
    Flubendazole has a broad-spectrum of activity against gastrointestinal roundworms and lungworms of pig and poultry, including adults and larvae of the most important species (e.g. of the genus Ascaris, Ascaridia, Capillaria, Heterakis, Hyostrongylus, Oesophagostomum, Trichuris, etc.). It is also effective against some tapeworms (e.g. Taenia, Davainea, Raillietina, etc.).

It is also effective against the major parasitic roundworms (e.g. Ancylostoma, Toxocara, Trichuris, Uncinaria) and tapeworms (e.g. Taenia) of dogs and cats.

Flubendazole is absorbed slowly in the stomach. Therefore the longer it remains there, the better the efficacy. In carnivores (e.g. dogs and cats) and other animals with a simple stomach the passage through the stomach is rather fast and therefore a higher dosage or repeated treatments are usually required.

Flubendazole has no residual effect. This means that a single administration will kill the parasites present in the host at the time of treatment, but it will not protect against re-infestations.

At the therapeutic dose flubendazole is not effective against flukes and whatsoever external parasites.

As far as salt I don't remember the dosage per ten gallons. I use 1tsp per 10 gallons perhaps someone on forum knows the requirement. I change the dosage for myself depending on the strength and type of medication I use.
    Last edited by dirtyplants; 11-17-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Coree

Flubendazole is very effective against flukes
    --Don--

At the therapeutic dose flubendazole is not effective against flukes and whatsoever external parasites.
    Not sure what therapeutic dose is but this is from Manufacturer.
    Coree

I forget the dose I used but it did the best out of all the meds I tried for flukes (including prazi, delos powder, trichlorfon) confirmed by scoping scrapes.
    --Don--

Registered Member

Observing them tonite all my other fish seem happy enough just the 1 little one still is quite run down still has white stringy poop. I read somewhere once they hav a bad case of worms it's near impossible for them to recover. It this true or should I keep trying different options?

Real Name
    Tim Allen

I wouldn't mix up the treatments, add some epson salt to help them out sounds like your on the right track if they are heavly infested it can take some time for it all to clear and follow up doses as per the instructions. Josie Or Pat had a good tread for tape worms very well detailed try searching that.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by timmy82 View Post
    I wouldn't mix up the treatments, add some epson salt to help them out sounds like your on the right track if they are heavly infested it can take some time for it all to clear and follow up doses as per the instructions. Josie Or Pat had a good tread for tape worms very well detailed try searching that.
    Here's the thread Timmy is talking about...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...check-this-out
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Now that I have finished my treatment of flubendazole would it be a good idea to treat with prazi? The little one is getting worse and I'd say dosnt hav long to live and I'm also concerned bout the big one I noticed him flicking his fins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast