ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EMERGENCY MY TANK JUST CRACKED

Default Re: EMERGENCY MY TANK JUST CRACKED

Hope the repair works Elliot. I think if sealed right and you give it 48 hours to cure, it should be good to go.

Keep us posted.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Jeff, I hope you are right. The crack runs near straight up and down, maybe 2" from left to right. I purchased a 12X26" piece of glass to put in place tonight. I only need to buy 1-2 clamps to hold it, depending on what type of clamps I can get.

It could be like a windshield crack Elliot, you could start with a 2" or 3" crack and the slightest thing could crack it all the way up and down. Even heat could be a factor too.

Good luck buddy!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    It could be like a windshield crack Elliot, you could start with a 2" or 3" crack and the slightest thing could crack it all the way up and down. Even heat could be a factor too.

Good luck buddy!
    +1
    can you post a pic?
    -Ismael

Reefers use gel superglue to attach coral. There is a kind of glue that can be applied under water. Applying this to the inside on the crack may temporarily help avert disaster. Let us know how it goes.

BTW- How did it crack?

Registered Member

OC Discus, I will add gel superglue to the inside. My repair is delayed until tonight because I had to find a 60" bar clamp to hold the new glass in place. I was going to use two "C" clamps on top but I was not sure they would keep the repair glass flat against my tank. This is my rear glass and if the repair does not work I will need a new tank. I will use both types of clamps.
    OC Discus, I do not know how it cracked. I was watching my team the Jets lose as usual and I heard a loud noise. Everything looked OK. Then I heard water dropping on the floor. When I installed my tank I made sure the stand was level and I placed styrofoam between the tank and the stand. I guess it was just bad luck.
    The crack is on the rear glass and my tank is against a wall with only room between the tank and the wall for HOB filters. The crack goes from the bottom of my tank to the top. The crack runs about 2-3" from left to right so I purchased a 12" wide glass to morew than cover.

Real Name
    David Schneider

Is there baseboard heat nearby. I had a unused sump I build crack near the heat. Good luck
    Dave
    In the process of building a 75 gallon BB..

If you feel the clamps don't hold the glass tight enough, use the more tape to tight it ... Good luck!
    Ryan

Registered Member

My tank is near a radiator. I did not have a problem all last year. My tank is 150 gallon, I do not think it will change temperature that fast. The water acts to stabilize the temperature so I hope that is not the problem. As the radiator heats the glass the water will cool it. I have a small apartment and no place else to move the tank. The tank is 60" long and I wanted 72" but there was no room.
    Ryan, I will use two "C" clamps on top and then the bar clamp halfway down. I do not really have access to the back of the tank, it is in a corner near two walls. All the clamps will be on pieces of wood so the clamps do not put unequal pressure on the glass.

Hope this works man. I wonder if it would help to treat the glass on the outside with superglue- just a line rubbed onto the crack extending a couple of inches all around before applying the plate? Some glues are rated to work on glass- like the kind they use on cars. I think windshields get more prone to cracks as they get older- exposure to sun and weather. Not sure about aquariums.

Real Name
    Sheila

That is so sad. Slow down your emergency by getting some clean temporary tanks. Get your fish comfortable and then figure out your problem with the tank. I had a similar experience and found a new (to Me) used aquarium on Craigslist the next day.

Good luck!

I had the same happen to my 55 gallon tank. I cleaned the area that I putting the patch on real good then dried it out good. Then I silicon-ed the crack 1st and then silicon-ed the glass patch from the inside. The glass covered 6 to 8 inches either side of the crack. I test filled and let it set for a few days and there were no leaks. When I set up the tank for fish I put some tall leafy plants in to hide the repair. I wish you luck on your repair. It would be a shame to waste a big tank like that.

Check the level of the tank to be sure. Good luck.

stop holes... drill stop holes. go to each end of the crack and drill a stop hole right at the very tip. that'll stop the crack from slowly getting bigger. I have to do that with crack repairs on my boat and surfboards in the past yet the same concept applies to glass. You can silicone that crack all you want but you'll sleep better if you first drill stop holes. (you'll sleep best with a new tank though bud)
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Thanks all. I cannot move my tank my apartment is too small. I could not really reach over the tank to put the patch glass in the correct place. It is 25" high and 24" wide. There is only less than 5" space between the tank and the wall.
    I put the patch on as best as I could. I clamped the top of the glass well but I am not sure about the bottom, I was only able to try to wedge it. I could not get the bar clamp in place. I do not think it will work. I will get some super glue to try to seal the inside tomorrow.
    I am considering my options. My stand is 60X24. Can I put a board on top of the stand and put an 60X18 tank on my stand? I will put 3 sides of this tank on top the stand. A 60X18 tank is almost $1000 cheaper.
    I am also considering buying 2-3 29 gal tanks to keep my fish in for a day while I have my tank carried out and get a replacement 150 gal
    I do not think I will just give up.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast