ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EMERGENCY MY TANK JUST CRACKED

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: EMERGENCY MY TANK JUST CRACKED

I don't have any faith at all in any of the aforementioned repairs posted to date. Anything other than a glass panel replacement is just wasted time and asking for trouble in my opinion. Even if you do manage to seal the tank for now, are you going to trust this repair in the upcoming days, weeks months ahead? Everytime I left my place I would be afraid I was about to come home to a major disaster. Bite the bullet, don't waste money on temporary repairs and use that money for a new tank.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Someone here said they kept theirs in 5 gal buckets for two weeks during a transition without any losses. Glad your not giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    Thanks all. I cannot move my tank my apartment is too small. I could not really reach over the tank to put the patch glass in the correct place. It is 25" high and 24" wide. There is only less than 5" space between the tank and the wall.
    I put the patch on as best as I could. I clamped the top of the glass well but I am not sure about the bottom, I was only able to try to wedge it. I could not get the bar clamp in place. I do not think it will work. I will get some super glue to try to seal the inside tomorrow.
    I am considering my options. My stand is 60X24. Can I put a board on top of the stand and put an 60X18 tank on my stand? I will put 3 sides of this tank on top the stand. A 60X18 tank is almost $1000 cheaper.
    I am also considering buying 2-3 29 gal tanks to keep my fish in for a day while I have my tank carried out and get a replacement 150 gal
    I do not think I will just give up.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I don't have any faith at all in any of the aforementioned repairs posted to date. Anything other than a glass panel replacement is just wasted time and asking for trouble in my opinion. Even if you do manage to seal the tank for now, are you going to trust this repair in the upcoming days, weeks months ahead? Everytime I left my place I would be afraid I was about to come home to a major disaster. Bite the bullet, don't waste money on temporary repairs and use that money for a new tank.
    +1111111111111111

Registered Member

Temporary repairs are cheap. If I could get behind my tank I would have moe faith in my repair. I will try adding the "Super glue" inside the tank and let it cure before I put more water in the tank.

Registered Member

By the way everyone. My tank is about 70% filled and it is not leaking. It was a slow leak but a still a leak. By taking water out I reduced the pressure and the leak stopped. My filters still work and my fish look good. I will reduce the water level more tomorrow morning to as low as I can and the filters still work. I am leaning towards a new tank from GlassCages, possibly for their 12/7 delivery to NYC area. I am thinking 2-29 gal tanks to hold my fish for 1-2 days while I completely empty my tank including 100 plus pounds of PFS.

Some people will do anything to get a new tank!
    Good luck, I am sure the whole process is a giant pain.
    None the less you will never be happy until you replace the tank because of the nagging thought in the back of your mind that the jerry-rigged repair may break down at any point, most likely when you are not home!
    (Sell the old tank to someone who keeps snakes.)
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Some people will do anything to get a new tank!
    Good luck, I am sure the whole process is a giant pain.
    None the less you will never be happy until you replace the tank because of the nagging thought in the back of your mind that the jerry-rigged repair may break down at any point, most likely when you are not home!
    (Sell the old tank to someone who keeps snakes.)
    +1
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nigel

Good to hear that you aren't going to let this stop you from the hobby. I agree with the others that it would be good to either get a few small tanks in the mean time until you can get a new tank. From what I have seen here on SD, those small tanks always end up getting used in some way, whether that is for an emergency like this, or QT tanks or hospital tanks. The list goes on.

Glad everything worked out so far. I remember when my 100 cracked on me.....

Registered Member

I was just thinking. I am trying to find "Gel Super Glue" to put on the inside as an additional sealer. I think if I put package sealing tape, it is just like 2" wide Scotch Tape, on the inside and then fill my tank won't the water pressure hold it in place and stop the leak? Of course I have to make sure is does not move when I do water changes. Any opinions on "Tape"? it does sound reasonable to me.

Taping the inside crack of a 150gal dose not seem resonable to me.Just saying it out loud seems nuts.Not ment to be immersed.I would be on Craigs looking for cheap tanks and working on replacing.Hope no one lives below you.When my 150 sprang a leak,I crammed all my africans in a 30gal.I also put all the filters I had on the 150 on the 30.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Just to put in my 2 cents here, I had a 1 yr. old 125 gal tank, cracked from lower left up to the top. Water spurting out, quickly netted fish out and threw them into a plastic preformed pond, right on the living room rug, after pouring several buckets of tank water into it. The tank was at the dump the next day. I lost a lot of money, but could never have slept again if I had tried to patch it. Not worth the possible disaster. Good luck with whatever you choose to do Elliot.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Elliots I wish you the best just so you know I believe that tank in LI was with a stand. Good luck man I really feel for you

This is a simple fix.............. get a new tank!
    -Ismael

Don't believe tape is waterproof. It may plug the leak but won't stop the crack from spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    I was just thinking. I am trying to find "Gel Super Glue" to put on the inside as an additional sealer. I think if I put package sealing tape, it is just like 2" wide Scotch Tape, on the inside and then fill my tank won't the water pressure hold it in place and stop the leak? Of course I have to make sure is does not move when I do water changes. Any opinions on "Tape"? it does sound reasonable to me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast