ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Upgrading to a bigger tank

Registered Member

Default Upgrading to a bigger tank

Hi all, I am new to the world of discus and currently have a 30l planted tank with couple of fishes like gourami, Cory and guppies and recently add 3 juv discus so am thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank. Hence would like to find out the process and steps of how I can safely move the occupants over to their new home. Hope experts here can give some guide in doing so!
    Thanks in advance!

Nick Klimkowski

Default Re: Upgrading to a bigger tank

What I would do is get your new tank setup and get it cycled, put some of the bacteria on the filter in the new tank from your old tank. Next I would move the plants over and maybe you should consider getting rid of the guppies and gourami. Then you can move the discus over. Cycling takes a while so take your time and don't rush it.

-Nick

Real Name
    Wes

The gourami should be kept in 75 degree water and discus in 82 plus. Keep the other fish in the 30 and add a new tank for the discus. Since you already had them mixed together move some of the filter media to the new tank to seed the new filter. Remember water changes for the discus are a must.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Thanks guys! Successfully transferred them over with zero fatality. Still observing for any abnormal behaviour..

Registered Member

The Gourami is a bad idea. I'd get rid of them or they will pick on your discus.

What kind of gourami is it? That could make a big difference. Honey gourami, Kissing gourami?
    Joan

Registered Member

Hi, it's a pair of dwarf gourami, so far no sign of bullying from them.

Registered Member

I read that no one has brought this up because it was not your question but Discus do better in larger numbers. People on SD suggest at least 5-6. I would agree with that number but I would add more is better. Your Discus may do well in a group of 3 but they will do better in a larger group.