ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Handling a Bad Male to Female Ratio

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Default Handling a Bad Male to Female Ratio

Any suggestions on how to lessen aggression when you end up with a lot of males and only a few females? Over the last couple of months I've had three females decide to lay eggs in my 150g show tank. Based on their mating partners (in one case it switched) and those fighting to be mating partners, it's looking like I have six males. There are two other discus, the sex of which I don't have any clue. So 6 males, 3 females, and 2 who-knows-whats.

I know it would be much better if the ratio was the other way around, and I'm wondering whether I'm in for injuries and stress-related sickness if the males keep up the aggression. Hell, even the females are arguing over mating spots lately. Any ideas on how to lessen the mating-related aggression?
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Default Re: Handling a Bad Male to Female Ratio

Ratio that works best to reduce fighting. All males - no females. Or all females - no females.

No hormones in the water to cause fighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cosgrovb View Post
    Ratio that works best to reduce fighting. All males - no females. Or all females - no females.

No hormones in the water to cause fighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well, I wish this were true. I've got 5 big fish in a 75 gallon tank, all females as far as I can tell. Two have paired up, and constantly lay eggs, and attack the others. I know they are females because I had them in their own 30 gallon for about 2 months, and all their eggs never were fertilized. Or, at least that's what I'm thinking. It's frustrating.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

I'm hoping to trade my most aggressive male for a female. Hopefully that will make the balance a little better. I may try to purchase an additional confirmed female after that, but that will max out my tank space for sure. Yes, it's definitely frustrating. I'm scared they will stress each other out and get sick, but I guess that's just what they do. I'm sure there's not always a perfect male-female ratio in the wild, but I guess some die in the wild too.
    -Shane

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxDiscus View Post
    I'm sure there's not always a perfect male-female ratio in the wild, but I guess some die in the wild too.
    I don't think they die for this reason, they have room to get away after fight ...
    Ryan

I have the same problem. Mostly females and I don't think at this point I have a male of my jumbo and bigger discus. I have one pair of females that do lay eggs together with each other. My goal is to purchase some proven adult male discus of the same kind as my six adults or hopefully one of my sub adults will be male and I think I may have just one but not sure yet. It is a problem but at the moment it isn't because I have two adults in three separate tanks and they seem to get along well with each other. I'm on vacation in French Polynesia for another six days and when I return all six of of my adults will be transferred to a 125 gallon tank. We will see how they get along and will keep you posted. Good luck on finding the right mix. Although I doubt there is never such a thing since these are cichlids and they are territorial especially during breeding time or same sex breeding failures or during feeding. It is their nature and there is little that anyone can do about it except to time out the most aggressive and even that is not a remedy because the pecking order changes slightly and there is always the Alpha fish that will lord it over the others regardless of their gender. Good luck.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

I think that a few males and a lot of females would be the best ratio. I don't know if I'll ever get that ratio, as I don't plan to get rid of any more fish for a while, but I think I'll be able to strike enough of a balance to calm down some of the recent madness. The tough part is that you rarely know the sex for sure when you buy new ones.

You will have it made if you get two or three males. Then they'll each have a small harem, and everyone should be happy. If only my wife would let me get away with that!
    -Shane

You could get a couple of breeding tanks to move the pairs into and start raising babies. You could re-balance using your own fry.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    You could get a couple of breeding tanks to move the pairs into and start raising babies. You could re-balance using your own fry.
    Good suggestion, but I don't have the time to put into the daily water changes necessary to grow out the fry. However, when I finally retire, I'm sure there will be breeding tanks all over my house.
    -Shane