ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filtration

Registered Member

Default Filtration

From what I can tell a lot of people use sponge filters but I am not sure if this is just in the grow out tanks or in the show tanks too?

If you have a 90 gallon show tank would you use a sump instead or still sponge filters.

And lastly why are sponge filters so popular?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Filtration

Sponge filters are cheap and simple...plus they work. A couple of squeezes a week and you are good to go. On the sump vs sponge filter personal choice really. All my large tank which have built-in overflows are on sumps. My 90 has a HOB AC 110.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

If you were to buy a new 90, would you buy a standard tank and use a sponge or would you buy one with an overflow and use a sump?

Real Name
    Wes

The Aquaclear 110 with 2 of the square sponges in it. A sponge inside the tank is also great. It will become seeded with good bacteria and u could move it with fish to another tank.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnstar View Post
    If you were to buy a new 90, would you buy a standard tank and use a sponge or would you buy one with an overflow and use a sump?

My personal choice would be a sump for many reasons; greater water volume, place to hide things like heaters, greater oxygenation etc.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Since you refer to it as a show tank, I would not use internal sponge filters as they are not part of an attractive display. I would use either a sump, if space allows or a couple of HOBs. The HOBs would be very simple. I'm using two Aquaclear 110s on a 120 now and would do the same for a 90.
    Joan

I use two HOB's AC110's on my 125, One AC110 on my 55g and one smaller AC each on my 2 twenty gallon longs. My 65g is the only one that is a sump and I use sponge only media.
    Quote Originally Posted by joanstone View Post
    Since you refer to it as a show tank, I would not use internal sponge filters as they are not part of an attractive display. I would use either a sump, if space allows or a couple of HOBs. The HOBs would be very simple. I'm using two Aquaclear 110s on a 120 now and would do the same for a 90.

I just installed a magnum 350 canister loaded with bio media and a sponge pre-filter. The sponge is simple to clean and keeps debris out of the internal pre-filter. I have two sponges that slip on the intake tube. I slip a cup under it, turn off the filter, slip the dirty one off and a clean one on, power up and go clean the dirty sponge.

+1 for sump if it is a "show" tank. I use a 45 gallon sump on my 120. I have about 30 actual gallons in it which gives me an additional 25% more water volume. Also allows me to keep my Cobalt Aquatics heaters hidden, along with Purigen, etc. Maintenance is quick and simple.

Nick Klimkowski

I would do a sump for a show tank, while sponge filters are cheap a sump looks a little better as far as the fact that you will not see it.

Real Name
    Cass

Sumps are great cause they add water volume and dont clutter a display tank.

I use 2 AC70s and 3 sponges on my 65g. I like HOB and sponge filters cause they are easy to maintain and move to a new tank if i need to do an instant cycle. Sponge filters also add some aeration.

I think you could keep sponges seeded in a sump if you wanted.
    "a true sign of a persons humanity, is to be found in how they treat their animals"

In order to give you more information as to a sump, canister or sponges, we need to know what are you considering a show tank? Is it a bare bottom tank? Do you have plants? Are your fish adults or are you growing them out?

If you are still growing out discus, then a couple large sponges and a canister filter would be best because you would still be doing big water changes a couple times per week. And in doing so, with a sump, you would have to keep shutting it off and restarting it, which can be a bit of a pain.

If you have adults, then a sump as mentioned can be a good idea. As Pat mentioned you can hide things like your heater.

Another option if you don't want all the filter hoses inside your tank say from using 2 canister filters is to get some "Lily Pipes" and attach them to the intake out output hoses to your canister filters. Lily pipes are made out of glass and sort of blend in to the tank. They make for an inconspicuous look in your tank. I am considering them for mine. Lily pipes come in a variety of sizes.
    Last edited by DiscusLoverJeff; 12-15-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    My personal choice would be a sump for many reasons; greater water volume, place to hide things like heaters, greater oxygenation etc.
    Agreed, not to mention you can have a section devoted to a refugium!