AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Quick "How To Re-Seal A Tank"

Default Quick "How To Re-Seal A Tank"

Did a leaker and an old tank recently,thought Id take a few pics while I did it.Not a a complete break-down,just a quick strip and re-seal.
    [IMG][/IMG]You'll need rubbing alcohol or acetone,I used rubbing alcohol,100% silicone,some still use the GEII,I got some aquarium sealent from DLJeff,paper towels,vacuum,and razor knife.Also extra blades,and a small paint brush,not pictured.Oh,and an old school 55.If it was a new one,I probably would wait for a $1 sale.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Scrape the sealent off the sides,without digging into the actual seam,that whats holding the tank together.Some completely break down tank and seal,but I said this was going to be the quick way.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Peel out the old sealent.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    First pass,it will take 2-3 passes,or more if you like,when I did my 180 I was diligent,old 55 in the basement,not so much.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Now a second pass,you might want to put a new blade in.Brush out seams and vacuum,then run finger on inside,youll feel if there is still sealent in there and need to scrape 3-4 more times.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    now use the alcohol and rub clean the seams.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Let it dry,I would feel the seams again and then clean them again.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Caulk it up!
    Now spread the sealent,and you have to be a little quick before it skins.You can use any of the tools that they have,I just like to use my finger.You can also tape off the edges for a cleaner look,but this is a grow-out tank,not a show,so I didnt.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    and done,let it cure for al least 24hrs.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    24hrs later.All total,it took about 1hr 15min to doit it,maybe a little longer with taking pictures.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Bill63SG; 12-15-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Default Re: Quick "How To Re-Seal A Tank"

Thanks Bill. A picture is worth 1000 words. So I guess 17 pictures is worth 17000 words

Real Name
    Wes

Bill, Good post. You forgot the most important thing.

The beer is for after not before.
    Last edited by Wes; 12-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks guys,wanted something with no "fat".I remember throwing out an old big tank because I didnt know about re-sealing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Nick Klimkowski

Loooks good Bill the pics definently help shoe the process.

awesome job... done like a boss...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Michael

Bill
    I bought a 130 this weekend for 50$. I was told of a leak in one corner. There is evidence of caulk applied to that corner on the inside of the tank and some expanding insulation foam to the frame in that corner on the outside. This is an old tank I assume . It has a plastic frame but it is not one piece. It has a glass center brace. I doubt that I will tackle this until the spring. But I'm wondering if once I remove the interior seams will I be able to visually tell if the tank needs to be completely rebuilt. These 6 foot panes of glass are rather intimidating . I don't want to imagine trying to mate them up from scratch. Also the tank has a label on it stating not to drill it. Does that mean its tempered?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto deuce View Post
    Bill
    I bought a 130 this weekend for 50$. I was told of a leak in one corner. There is evidence of caulk applied to that corner on the inside of the tank and some expanding insulation foam to the frame in that corner on the outside. This is an old tank I assume . It has a plastic frame but it is not one piece. It has a glass center brace. I doubt that I will tackle this until the spring. But I'm wondering if once I remove the interior seams will I be able to visually tell if the tank needs to be completely rebuilt. These 6 foot panes of glass are rather intimidating . I don't want to imagine trying to mate them up from scratch. Also the tank has a label on it stating not to drill it. Does that mean its tempered?
    Is the lable on the bottom?This is the most common,a tempered bottom,takes away some of the weight.Ive never taken a tank completly apart,but I belive John Nicholson has,you could pm him questions on that.Also,caulk/sealent in the corner,old and new silicone wont bond,thats why you have to strip out all the seams,even if you know where the leak is,so you cant just patch it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Michael

The label is on the bottom. Thnx

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Got membership ??? NADA Member

Real Name
    James

Silicone doesn't stick to silicone. So, yup, you have to strip every bit out and ensure nice clean glass for bonding. feel, clean re-feel several times. One missed spot that still has silicone can cause the tank to leak again because the new silicone won't adhere and create the needed seal.

Excellent play by play Bill. I have to do a 75 in the coming weeks and this will be VERY helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to document this.

-Greg
    ​Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
    Excellent play by play Bill. I have to do a 75 in the coming weeks and this will be VERY helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to document this.

-Greg
    Thanks.PM me if you have any other quetions,or try youtube.They have some good videos,didnt have time to try to make one myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Saw some re-sealing going on and thought Id give this a "bump".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.