ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SO HAPPY "First Discus Spawn"

Default SO HAPPY "First Discus Spawn"

A big hello to all fellow discus breeders...PHASE 1COMPLETE-I had my first successful spawn... I have approx.200-300 eggs I'm in the hobby only 3 months so obviously I must be doing something RIGHT granted it's only the beginning and have such a loooong way to go but as U guys know your first time is always exciting and it's a feeling I'm sure you guys never forget OK right now we have a pH of 6.01 conductivity of 231 water temp. At 83. ... we still might have 2 females however unlikely b/c the discus that I think is the male is protecting the eggs and standing guard aggressively chasing away ANY fish that comes within 5 inches of the eggs since day 1 that I brought them home they paired up almost immediately swimming together, playing together, sharing food with ZERO aggression etc; he has what I believe his genitals out so let's all pray...The female is also standing guard however looks as if she is "fanning" them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Default Re: BROKE MY CHERRY "First Discus Spawn"

Here are Pictures of the first spawn 3 hours ago

OK with all that being said. ..
    I would like to take this time now to THANK all of you who responded to ALL of my questions and coached me through to get me to this point along with all of your advice and critiques.I know it's only a simply egg drop.however for a newbie who has never had even a gold fish before is a big deal and to be SO successful in such a short time period shows great care and dedication was shown and proves I paid close attention to everyone.

Lastly....I would like to ESPECIALLY thank "John Nicholson" who has taken me under his wings and offered me special 1on1 time with me and took time out of his busy schedule to talk me through the many stages of discus care & needs...John if you read this THANK YOU!!! Guys even if these eggs don't hatch it's OK sooner or later they will and I'm not going to quit or give up, if they don't it will just make me wanna work harder... So I will keep you guys updated we have 2 more days till we find out!!!

Registered Member

Hello lx2077,
    Congratulation on your first spawn. It s very excited to follow the progress of your pair. Hopefully within the next few day, you would be able to tell if you have a confirmed or proven pair.Give yourself plenty of time in the next few day to read and read some more about breeding. If you have wigglers the next step would be finding a good source to purchase some BBS. Freshly hatch BBS will give your fry an excellent start. Be prepare to have a 20-29 gallon tank for the new pair. You would have more luck having the pair in their own tank rather than the community tank.
    Best wishes to you,
    Perry

YES my local pet land carries brine shrimp next I am already to purchase a 20 gal tank when ever I get the go ahead from you guys also I'm just not sure what to do w/ the new tank...Do I just take the water out of my 55gal tank during a WC and if so does that mean I do not have to wait for it to go through a whole cycle...Also what about my beneficial bacteria? ??how do I get it started in the new tank???... Omg I'm so confused H-E-L-P

Which filter do you have in your current tank or you can add sponge filter in your current tank for a week then move it to your new breeding tank

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk - now Free
    SANDY

you should edit your title
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    you should edit your title
    +1

This is a family friendly and work safe forum.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Oh sorry guys...didn't See any harm in title I apologize I'm not sure how to edit title however I look into it right now and in response I currently have a fluval (G3) and a Marineland 150 HOB I will pick up a sponge filter today

UPDATE- I woke up this morning and only 5 or 6 eggs were kind of white the rest look as if they darkened a bit I'll keep updates coming the next one will be when I get home from work and pick up my new sponge filter

Can someone tell me how to edit my title...Thank you

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I can handle that for you.

Retitled the thread which so captures the excitement over that first spawn.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Default Re: SO HAPPY "First Discus Spawn"

Can someone tell me what those little orange icons are at the bottom right hand side of my pictures? Thanks

Default Re: SO HAPPY "First Discus Spawn"

Quote Originally Posted by lx2077 View Post
    Can someone tell me what those little orange icons are at the bottom right hand side of my pictures? Thanks

yea.. if you put your cursor over that icon and look at bottom left corner of your browser.. it shows something about tapatalk.. and since you are using tapatalk.. i am sure its cuz of tapatalk
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast