ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help

Default Please help

My blue diamond stopped eating several days ago. This morning I put epson salt in the tank and now I'm noticing this stringy slime coming from him.
    Can some of you experienced people help me to identify it?
    Last edited by krislewis3; 12-28-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Default Re: Please help

I can't say that I for sure know the answer, but I just posted something very similar last night in the Disease/Sickness and Medication section. You may want to check out that post and see if it's the same thing. I think there are a few possibilities, but with my fish, I think it may be just undigested food due to overfeeding. I do know that a salt dip will relieve constipation, so perhaps you "unclogged" him.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

More experienced members may disagree, but from the very limited information provided, I would wait 24 hours from adding the Epsom salt and do a big water change of 75% plus. The picture is not really clear. Also, can you complete the questionnaire in the disease section. This will help members more accurately diagnose and advise.

Registered Member

Pic isn't that clear. Is poop clearish/white and stringy? Have you added any new fish to your tank? How long have you had your BD for? If this is internal parasite (most commonly Hex), epsom salt won't do much do much of anything. Fill out disease questionaire to help us help you.

I've had this BD for almost 2 years! She has never been a heavy eater, (she is my smallest discus at only 5")
    10 days ago, she stopped eating completely! I wondered if I had over fed, and she became constipated, which is why I treated with Epsom salt. I've not seen her poop at all since she started her hunger strike, so it's difficult to diagnose the problem. All the other fish are healthy and eating well.
    I wondered if the stringy slime was intestinal lining from the epson salt treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxDiscus View Post
    I can't say that I for sure know the answer, but I just posted something very similar last night in the Disease/Sickness and Medication section. You may want to check out that post and see if it's the same thing. I think there are a few possibilities, but with my fish, I think it may be just undigested food due to overfeeding. I do know that a salt dip will relieve constipation, so perhaps you "unclogged" him.

I saw your post from yesterday, and I don't think it's the same thing. The stringy slime comming from my bd is just like it looks in the photo, very thin, and wispy, and hard to see. It's interesting that about 1 month ago, I added 'frozen' beef hart to their normal diet of fd black worms, tetra bits, beef hart flake from kens fish, fd brine shrimp, and brine shrimp flake!

Real Name
    David

I do know that a salt dip will relieve constipation, so perhaps you "unclogged" him.
    Dosing the tank with epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for constipation is totally different from performing a salt (sodium chloride) dip on a fish.

Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt
    How To Do a Salt Dip
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

How long should I observe this bd before I should try meds????

Real Name
    David

Without more information, it is really hard to guess. Maybe filling out the questionnaire at the top of the page & adding it to this thread, plus a closer photo of the discharge will help uncover something that has been overlooked?
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Registered Member

IMO, I would place this fish in QT asap. Since it has not eaten for ten days, something is definitely wrong internally. Most likely parasite or bacterial infection. The addition of frozen beef heart could possibly be the culprit. Have you added any new fish to your tank recently? While in QT, I would do %75 WCs daily, start dosing with Metro to treat for internal parasites. If no improvement after 5-7 days stop metro and treat for internal bacterial infection with erythromycin and tetracycline. These 2 meds can be used at the same and covers broad spectrum of gram positive and gram negative bacteria. If you can't get these 2 meds, triple sulfa also works well for bacterial infections. Good luck.

Real Name
    David

While some of the suggestions might be exactly what is needed, please do not blindly throw meds at the fish until we have adequate information in order to provide a proper diagnosis.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    tnaqua.org member

Registered Member

I agree meds should not be used blindly. But this fish has not eaten for ten days and with each passing day the fish will continue to waste away and become weaker. Placing it in QT is an important first step. Metro is very safe when dosed correctly and I feel this is a good start. When we know exactly what the cause of the problem is, metro can be conitinued if the problem is for example Hex or stopped without I'll effect if the cause is something different. I use meds as a last resort. This discus appears to look normal externally. This is most likely an internal problem with the limited info provided. Just observing at this point is of no benefit to this fish. This is just my opinion but I wouldn't wait long to do something.

Real Name
    David

While I agree with your suspicions with their discus, it takes less time to fill out the questionnaire and verify the issue for proper treatment than to QT and potentially follow the wrong treatment process.
    tnaqua.org member

Real Name
    Shane Sims

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    Dosing the tank with epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for constipation is totally different from performing a salt (sodium chloride) dip on a fish.

Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt
    How To Do a Salt Dip
    Good info. Thanks for the clarification.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Real Name
    David

Good info. Thanks for the clarification.
    Happy to help.
    tnaqua.org member

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast