Israel

Default Re: Please help

Kris, how is your blue diamond doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Israel

I supose something adverse happened to the BD since no more post on this blog have taken place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

After curing this fish last Feb., she has stopped eating again just 3 days ago. The only thing in common with the first episode, is the introduction of San Fransisco beefhart,. That must be the culprit! My question is, if it is from the beef hart, what would the diagnosis and treatment be???? Please advise.....Kris
    Last edited by krislewis3; 07-26-2014 at 12:04 PM.

The first thing to do is to stop feeding the beefheart if that is believed to be the cause. Epsom salts for a day just in case it has caused a blockage, after that try things like frozen blood worm or live brine shrimp
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I did try the Epsom salt, to no avail. How long should I wait before I medicate? The last time this happened I used metro, and then antibiotic, which did the trick! Kris

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    I did try the Epsom salt, to no avail. How long should I wait before I medicate? The last time this happened I used metro, and then antibiotic, which did the trick! Kris
    To avoid having to read through 16 pages of stuff it might be better to start a new thread with a new questionnaire.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    Mine all have a poop party as soon as the lights come on in the morning. I wait an hour to feed while poo is flying everywhere. Start watching as soon as the lights come on and don't feed for about an hour. You'll probably see some action.

LOL animal lovers, love the poop!!!! its soo true
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

If it hasn't eaten for three or four days I wouldn't be medicating just yet. If the beefheart you fed it was the cause then a few days on different foods may be all that's needed. With Epsom salts if there has been no result in a day then it is unlikely that there is a blockage. Given the gentle nature of the med it is always worth trying, it will act as a purgative anyway and that can sometimes be the trigger for them to eat. You don't need to worry about removing the med either, just continue with normal water changes.

Just keep feeding foods it has eaten previously, I'm never 100% sure why a non eater suddenly starts eating nor why they suddenly stop eating. I tend to try and maintain optimal conditions and feed trusted foods.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Paul...in the above advise, when you refer to the 'med', are you speaking of the Epsom salt, or the metro?
    Last edited by krislewis3; 07-27-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Paul...in the above advise, when you refer to the 'med', are you speaking of the Epsom salt, or the metro?
    Epsom salts
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

After curing this fish last Feb., she has stopped eating again just 3 days ago. The only thing in common with the first episode, is the introduction of San Fransisco beefhart,. That must be the culprit! My question is, if it is from the beef hart, what would the diagnosis and treatment be???? Please advise.....Kris
    Kris,
    Has the fish that stopped eating passed any feces? Definetly pitch that Beefheart and make sure the tank is spotless.. Don't know if you have any substrate in the tank,. but if you do,.. clean it well.. If the BH rots and they eat it...it could lead to issues like you are seeing. Often the fish in question will start passing white feces, and bloat up. The initial treatment is epsom salt as Paul indicated.... Antibiotics like kanamycin and Metro combined are useful, if the Epsom salt does not help or the condition worsens.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516