AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: new to discus

Registered Member

Default new to discus

i have a 50 gallon bow front i ordered a pigeon blood discus this will be my first one all i have as of now is a couple of electric blue acara i hope they will do fine together how is the best way to acculimate it to my tank any help would be awesome thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: new to discus

A single discus will not do well. Should be in a group of at least 5-6. Acaras will also out compete discus for food especially when theyget larger. You may want to rethink your setup. A 50g tank is just barely big enough for 4-5 discus when fully grown. Strongly suggest you read sticky threads in beginners section.

I agree

I agree too. Even if it would be okay by itself, I would personally have a hard time keeping one. There are too many beautiful discus, (especially if you look at Kenny's shipment) that you want to keep on buying them. I though my 100 gal would be enough, but I am beginning to think it's too small. I keep wanting to add discus's to it. I have noticed that a lot of on here are the same way. Good luck.

Registered Member

oh i understand i have a buddy that has 4 of them in a 55 long and they r doing just fine so maybe if i get rid of my electric blue acara would the dicus just be fine with my three geophagus alfritons ??

According to your initial post, you stated that you only have the electric blues now you have the geophagus too? Geophagus will be too aggressive towards it IMO. As wild4discus stated, one will not do, they need to be in a group of at least 5-6. Discus are a schooling fish and the need to be in groups i.e. 5-6.

Registered Member

I forgot about the geophagus so basically your saying I can't put on discus in my tank ??

Quote Originally Posted by bayouboy85 View Post
    I forgot about the geophagus so basically your saying I can't put on discus in my tank ??

it's not recommended. You are getting good advice here. Might it work? Maybe depending on the disposition of your other fish. Will it be ideal? No.
    --Don--

Registered Member

ok i understand i guess its either i try it and loose the fish and r i can just clear my tank out of everything and just go with discus thanks for all the help guess i have to make a decsion

Quote Originally Posted by bayouboy85 View Post
    ok i understand i guess its either i try it and loose the fish and r i can just clear my tank out of everything and just go with discus thanks for all the help guess i have to make a decsion
    I know what mine would be!

Registered Member

The Altifrons get to 10" or so, so 3 in the long run would not have worked in that size tank anyways (you should probably add 3 more Altifrons to help with aggression). The EBA are also very aggressive during spawining, if you so happen to have a pair (do you have 3 or 5 Acara?). Like the rest have said, a single Discus is a no go, so you will want to order 3-4 more from the same place if its the only fish going in the tank, so you can get equal sizes and take the Altifrons and Blue Acara's out. My Altifrons are pretty aggressive, and I had Blue Acara that were very aggressive. Right now, I have Yellow Acara that are pushy during feeding time, so I think they would steal all the food, and probably stress the Discus out.
    If you want fish other than the Discus in a tank together, try some Bolivian Rams.

Good luck

Art
    Last edited by aggriffin3; 01-02-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Registered Member

Electric blue acara they don't get as big as blue acara I have a buddy that has some 2 years old they only three inches so if I was getting rid of all my fish would one discus would be ok for the time being I plan of getting more and they r coming from the same person that breeds them ??

If you got rid of the geophagus and EBA it will be okay for a little bit IMO. I wouldn't wait too long though.
    Sean

Registered Member

Ok thanks all for the help