It feels like years since I last posted. Currently I have no Discus, but hopefully I'll get back into it. Anyways, I got a 55 tank and was looking to make a veggie filter, when I decided to try with Lucky Bamboo plants directly into the aquarium. Real name is Dracaene sanderiana and sold everywhere as "Lucky Bamboo" plants. I had a small pot in my office, which I replanted in a big planter and grew real big. Most people that tried, they simply drown the whole plant and leaves beneath the water level. This kills the plants eventually. This is an 18" high tank, so you need a plant with leaves at least 20-24" high. Cut-off all the leaves on the stem that goes underwater and just leave the leaves above water. I tried it with 3 plants (the ones with stems that have algae growth) and after 8 months, everything is perfect. The above-water leaves continue to grow like crazy. I added 3 more, for a total of 6 and by the time I'm done, I expect to have 24 plants. By the way, the stem underwater won't grow leaves again. I have 3 full-grown angels (close enough to Discus water parameters) plus some other fish. Change water once a week, only because I tend to overfeed and they poop a lot. Also have 3 Blood Parrots, big common pleco, bristlenose plecos, cory's, and a few others. Don't check on the water parameters, but the plants seem to be doing an excellent job, because they continue to grow like crazy and I have to trim the leaves every 3-4 weeks. Hope you enjoy the idea! Dan