ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Heater..overkill?

Default Heater..overkill?

Is a 500 watt jehmco titanium heater overkill for a 120 gallon tank w/ 40 gallon sump? How big of a tank is this heater for and what controller do you recommend for it?..and what is the difference between wired and not wired controllers?
    Thank you all

Default Re: Heater..overkill?

As long as you have a controller, that should be okay. I had two 300 watt titanium heaters on my 150, both plugged into a controller.

You want to get a wired one. This means the wires are already set up in the controller and all you have to do is plug the controller cord into a wall outlet and the heater cord into the controller. The non-wired ones would require you to have basic electrical knowledge because you'd have to hook up the wires inside the controller yourself.

Be warned that they're still capable of going bad. People were talking about how great and constant titanium heaters with controllers were, so I spent a bunch of money and got them. Then something went out, either my controller or my thermostat probe, and I came home in the winter to a tank at 67 degrees. I had some VERY unhappy cichlids. Of course, the way my luck runs it was probably a fluke and would never happen to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    As long as you have a controller, that should be okay. I had two 300 watt titanium heaters on my 150, both plugged into a controller.

You want to get a wired one. This means the wires are already set up in the controller and all you have to do is plug the controller cord into a wall outlet and the heater cord into the controller. The non-wired ones would require you to have basic electrical knowledge because you'd have to hook up the wires inside the controller yourself.

Be warned that they're still capable of going bad. People were talking about how great and constant titanium heaters with controllers were, so I spent a bunch of money and got them. Then something went out, either my controller or my thermostat probe, and I came home in the winter to a tank at 67 degrees. I had some VERY unhappy cichlids. Of course, the way my luck runs it was probably a fluke and would never happen to anyone else.
    Thank you for your response, Ryan. What kind of titanium heaters were they? What heater are you using now? Man that story kinda freaks me out. I have a 200 watt neo therm heater from old tank, do I still need to use that in addition to the 500 watt? Thank you

They were Jehmco's. I ordered everything from them. Now I have cheap Visitherms (not the Stealth ones that exploded on people) on my large tanks. I have two 250 watt heaters in each tank, hidden in the sump. It's been four years and I haven't had to replace any of them yet. *knock on wood*

A lot more people have probably had success with titanium heaters than with cheap Visitherms, so don't let me scare you.

Turns out jehmco isn't selling these ATM because they are looking for a new manufacturer. Any other suggestions on good titanium heaters (and controllers)?

Nick Klimkowski

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Turns out jehmco isn't selling these ATM because they are looking for a new manufacturer. Any other suggestions on good titanium heaters (and controllers)?
    Check out bulk reef supply.

Most of my local friends have been using this one with no problem so far.
    http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-300-watt.html

I am planning to order some to replace the glass ones in my tank. Always feel like having bombs in the house even though using with the good brand names.

Default Heater..overkill?

...I have a 200 watt neo therm from old tank but need another heater as that's not enough. As Jehmco isn't selling any titanium heaters anymore because they are looking for a new manufacturer..
    Does anyone like the NEW via aqua titaniums? I would like something that can handle my tank size instead of buying two, because I will be also reusing the neo therm in addition to the heater I get.

My tank is 120 gallons with a 40 gallon sump so about 160 gallons total
    Last edited by Discusdude7; 01-11-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    ...I have a 200 watt neo therm from old tank but need another heater as that's not enough. As Jehmco isn't selling any titanium heaters anymore because they are looking for a new manufacturer..
    Does anyone like the NEW via aqua titaniums? I would like something that can handle my tank size instead of buying two, because I will be also reusing the neo therm in addition to the heater I get.

My tank is 120 gallons with a 40 gallon sump so about 160 gallons total
    Any one?

Real Name
    Tony

i have those 200W Via Aqua heaters in 25G tank, so far so good.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    i have those 200W Via Aqua heaters in 25G tank, so far so good.
    Thank you.

What heaters are you guys with multiple tanks using and do you like them? Anyone like the aqueon pro Heaters?