AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PH Trouble....Advise please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Default PH Trouble....Advise please

Hi All,

I'm supposed to pick up my 2 adult Discus this weekend. I have been checking ph just to be sure all is right. Well, my tap water is 7.5 and my tank water is 8.2 which means I must have had ph swings every time I did a water change and I do a LOT of water changes. My fish must be used to it because they are doing really well and have not died due to my ignorance; however, my concern are the Discus. Does anyone have any idea why my ph is going up in my tank?? I have blasting sand and some really pretty rocks I picked up from the mountain side. I have some plants and use root taps. That's about it....any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: PH Trouble....Advise please

Take out the rocks they are most likely the problem. Also aging your water might help with a swing. Not sure if you're doing that already.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Before removing the rocks try aging your water with an airstone over 24 hours. Test the ph of the water before aging and after aging. If the ph swings from 7.4 to 8.2 then best to age water for discus. Otherwise remove the rocks.

Also with discus it is best to only have rounded rocks as discus are bad about hurting themselves on rough or sharp surfaces.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 01-14-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

I guess I just did not realize the ph could go up in the tank. Rookie mistake I know. I just assumed that the water from my tap was my ph so I never tested the tank. My little Discus is doing fine; however, she has been in there for a while now. Don't think I'm going to be so lucky with the adults.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Come to think of it, I actually did test the water by aging. I have a ten gallon I set up with bare bottom and an air stone. I was thinking of using for a grow out tank. Ph did not change. I will add sand tonight and check tomorrow to see if it is the sand. If not, probably the rock. Can anything else raise the ph???

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I think you have it covered.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Hi All,

Been experimenting. Filled a 10 gal bucket 3/4 full with air stone and heated to 82 degrees. Ph started at 7.5 from tap at 12 noon. Checked again at 1:10 and Ph had gone up to 8. Changed 10% of water in the 47 gal. Started with a 8.3 ph. Went to 8 after water change at 12 noon. Still 8 at 1:10. Wonder why the bucket changed so fast and the big tank didn't. What does this mean for my water changes when I get my Discus?? Why has this never hurt the fish in my 47 gal tank? Out of ignorance I was doing 50% water changes almost everyday for a while. Now I'm way scared to change water.

where do you live
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Victor, Montana.....

Registered Member

Less pH swing in larger volume of water in your 47 gallon compared to 3/4 full 10 gallon bucket. Do you check your water hardness? If your KH/GH is low your pH would decrease after aging and if it is high your pH would increase.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

After trying several things it is apparently the air that increases the pH. I don't check for hardness but I can tell you we have hard water. Lots of hard water spots in the house.