ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 100 Gal Build

Default Re: 100 Gal Build

Thanks! Here is an update as of today. I keep moving plants every time I go down there. I believe I have it to how I want it. Now I am off to get some root tabs and se how they do over the next few weeks.

Sean

Registered Member

Nice start! Every time I look at my tank I consider how things will look if moved to another spot! I have since the very first day I put a plant in a tank. lol

Quote Originally Posted by flutterbug View Post
    That stand looks nice and sturdy! When I got my Marineland tank and stand I was shocked to see the design of the stand. Only a small piece of wood inside of the frame holds the aquarium! I wish I took pics, I get nervous every time I think about it. However I figure they wouldn't offer a lifetime warranty if it wasn't enough. (Hopefully)
    I had the same issue when I bought the tank. My LFS wanted to sell me a stand where the frame was made out of 1x4. I am sure they work well, as yours does, or they wouldn't be selling. It was also cheaper to build than the cheap looking one at my LFS and more unique. Building my own gave me something to do, as I like to construct thing. My dad and great grandfather were well known carpenters in this area. So, I guess it's in my blood. Although, I didn't choose it as a profession. lol
    Sean

Registered Member

I wish I was talented enough to build my own stand.

Registered Member

I just refreshed my memory as to how bad my stand is. The tank is supported by two pieces of wood only 3/4" x 3/4" on each end. It sits on four 1/2" thick x 3" wide pieces of wood and then only touches center beam, but on the length of the stand the tank doesn't make contact with the wood at all! Just sits in the lip at the top. It is so scary!

Wow what size tank?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Sean

Registered Member

It is 60" x 18" x 26" 120 gallon (I figured out it actually holds 108 gallons of water.)

That's a lot of weight and water riding on that! Lol that's close to 900 lbs of water not to mention the tank and substrate. Well say at least a 1000 lbs on it. That's another thing is those stands are open on top. I have a piece of plywood on the top of my stand that the tank sits on. Like I said earlier, they must work. I just don't trust them. My luck, I would come home to find a mess downstairs. Lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Sean

Registered Member

I know! I always have that in the back of my mind!

How many discus are you planning on having in there?

Quote Originally Posted by redman1221 View Post
    How many discus are you planning on having in there?
    9-10 of my 5.5-6inch discus I grew out. Having a hard time selecting which 9-10 though. Haha
    Sean

My inline heaters came and I pulled the Jager heater. Looks a lot cleaner without that in there. Plants are growing well especially the tiger lotus. I hope to put fish in there within 2 weeks. My ammonia levels dropped to 0ppm overnight. Going to add a little ammonia until the nitrites spike and fall. Then it should be go time.

Sean

Yeah, your tiger lotus show go ape-sh@t in there. Definitely easy to grow. Mine ended up becoming more like lilly pads (long stems; leaves at service) and the bulbs multiplied pretty well also.
    -Elliot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123