AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for blue discus like these

Registered Member iamthelivinglight's Avatar

Default Looking for blue discus like these

What would you say these are and where can I get some. Thank you for your time and help.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Looking for blue discus like these

Your money might be better spent duplicating the lighting employed on that setup.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

And the photography....It is just really great pictures of normal discus.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

you can get discus like that from one of the many sponsors on this website. Some of the fish appear to be Blue Diamonds. Lighting makes them more blue and I got my blue diamonds from discus hans.

I agree with above statements.

BTW: What city and state are you located in iamthelivinglight? That will help some breeders to help you

Thank you for your answers. I would definitely agree that lighting plays a roll in the amazing colors in these discus. And yes they where taken with a nice camera by a person who has taken more than a few pictures in their life. But more to the point of my question, are these brilliants, cobalts, flora, blue turquoise, and so on? Excluding the blue diamonds. What I am looking for are the bluest discus I can find with striations. Blue diamonds are nice but I do not want the solid blues. Thanks again for your time and help.

As I said search the sponsor websites and the kinds and colors will be posted with pictures on their websites. I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Or private message Kenny or Hans or any of the other sponsors and include a picture of the discus that you posted in your original post and they will accommodate you very well.

It can be confusing since so many names are used. Some even have blue diamond with "deep blue gene". Who can name the blue in the first pic with the yellow? Is it a turk or flora?

I'm with Rudus on emailing Kenny (don't know about Hans strains). Kenny's Brilliant, Scorpion, Giant Blue, and others might be closest to what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search

With OC Discus also. Many sellers out there will use dif. name on the same strain, for dif. reasons.....
    Last edited by SortSay2003; 01-19-2014 at 01:22 AM.

Registered Member

The second picture first discus looks like a blue diamond eith deep blue gene second and third discus are brilliant blue third and forth look a little darker blue and mighy be cobalt but the light is a bit tricky they might just be the same as the first bd with dee p blue gene. I was at kennys yesterday and he had the brilliant blues and blue diamonds with deep blue gene

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Don't get too caught up in names. You are looking for a striated blue fish. Blue diamonds, as you mentioned, are solid. If you want fish with striations, you can go for cobalts which are mostly solid as adults (but not as solid as BD) or turquoise types that keep thick body striations as adults (turquoise, brilliant, altum flora, etc.). Also, if you like more fine-lined striations, check out blue snakeskins and blue scorpions, which are some of my favorites.

Note that in both pictures you posted as examples, the fish are being kept in decorated tanks with relatively dark substrate and backgrounds. This will make blue fish darken up. That, combined with lighting, is what makes them look so dark (almost purple) in the photos. If you put those same fish on a light background they'd probably be lighter.

FYI, there are no true Blue Diamonds in that second picture. You'll notice that all those blue fish have a stress bar through either the eye or the caudal peduncle, making them cobalt-types. Blue Diamonds have no black markings anywhere on the body or fins.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJdiscusbreeder View Post
    Those look like Blue Diamond Discus. I breed many strains of discus including Blue Diamond. I'm located in NJ. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in buying some.
    4 of the 5 has noticeable striations and the 5th has some in its fins. They are not BD's....You never completely know from a picture but they are probably a turq X BD.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Where did you get that photo from? Contact the person who took the photo and/or the person whose tank it is. Discus vary greatly due to many reasons so do the best you can and good luck. You may not be able to duplicate those fish and conditions.

Real Name
    Matt

I would be looking for Cobalt discus if I were you. They look like consults to me. Kenny, Hans, or one of the other sponsors should be able to help you out!
    -Matt

Thank you all who have contributed in helping me. I first started this thread after quite a bit of research and was sure that I wanted a tank full of blue discus. A little update, I know I will be getting my discus from Kenny and I want Blue Turquois, Checkerboard Turquoise, Brilliant and to my surprise my tank will also display White Angels (with as much iridescent blue in the tips of fins as possible), Albino Pearl Diamond and Albino Millennium Gold both as bright and solid yellow as possible. I wish I could get them all at once but the one and only downside of getting discus through Kenny is I will be forced to exercise patience. I will be getting two of each and want them to be no larger than 4 inches so I can experience growing them out. Thanks again for everyone's time and help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast