AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Adults vs. Juvies competition

Registered Member

Default Adults vs. Juvies competition

Disregard/delete please, I searched and found an identical question in the archives.
    Last edited by Latro; 01-19-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Default Re: Adults vs. Juvies competition

I am a believer in not mixing sizes of discus in the same tank. It is only my experience that smaller fish with adults have a harder time with finding food and the pecking order leaves them somewhat hampered in growth. Juvies and sub adults IMO need more frequent feedings during the day than adults in order to have good growth and for that matter water changes in my adult tanks are not as frequent as they are in my smaller discus tanks. If you are willing to somehow spread the food through out the tank to make sure that the smaller ones have ample food and the necessary daily water changes (in some cases I do two water changes a day on my younger discus tanks) then I would not mix them. I'm sure others here on the forum have different opinions about this subject but I'm only relaying my experience. I have currently four tanks. One for adults the largest measuring a little over 8 inches(jumbo) and the smallest measuring 5.5 inches. Another tank for sub adults and another for juvies and one more tank for what I saw as a stunting of four discus that couldn't compete well enough for food. The Juvies are growing finally because they don't have to compete. Good luck.