Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hans Snakeskins

Registered Member
    Real Name
    William

Default Re: Hans Snakeskins

Who has better Discus, Hans or Kenny?

Quote Originally Posted by dghby View Post
    This will be where I will post the progress of my newest endeavor.
    I have on order and waiting for Delivery as I write this 7 - Stendker Snakeskins from Discus Hans. really looking forward to growing these out.
    I have bought Discus from Hans before and was quite impressed with the Quality and service.

3 Pigeon Snakeskins
    2 Red Snakeskins
    2 Blue Snakeskins

2.5 inches to 3 inches in size.

they will be fed

Al's FDBW's
    Hans Beefheart Mix
    Hans Flake
    Bill's Super Beefheart Flake
    Tetra color granules

MORE TO FOLLOW

Quote Originally Posted by Schatz View Post
    Who has better Discus, Hans or Kenny?
    They both have great quality, they both have great service, they both are very easy to contact and willing to help anyway they can.
    just really don't see how you can go wrong either way.

So another 6 weeks has past, thought I would get some pics updated on this thread to keep track of their growth, all really doing very well. ( I will knock on my head for wood) to date since I got them I have not had one single issue. nothing, all eat very well and show no signs of any issues other than being very happy.
    This guy has become over 6 inches and really starting to thicken up lately

And they rest are not to far behind him

After growing all of these over 5 inches I have transferred them into their new home, this is in preparation of a new group coming tomorrow from Hans that I need to grow out in their current tank.

Registered Member

They look great in there new home ! Nice pics
    Which strains have you ordered now ?

Quote Originally Posted by niqhil View Post
    They look great in there new home ! Nice pics
    Which strains have you ordered now ?
    Thanks, new ones coming are a couple od each of Tefe, cobalts and silver pigeons

Real Name
    Ricardo

As you mentioned, you had other discus so I checked your Homesteader. I see you have done a great job on growing these out. These look really great. However, I still stand by what I said in the other thread and will also say that these initially looked better in quality than the others in the other thread. No doubt that them having just been released from shipping bags had something to do with it, but again, those were the pics you chose to share with us. I look forward to following both threads. This group is something special though.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    As you mentioned, you had other discus so I checked your Homesteader. I see you have done a great job on growing these out. These look really great. However, I still stand by what I said in the other thread and will also say that these initially looked better in quality than the others in the other thread. No doubt that them having just been released from shipping bags had something to do with it, but again, those were the pics you chose to share with us. I look forward to following both threads. This group is something special though.
    thanks Rick, this group has truly come into their own and I think I have a couple pairs as well. I don't mind the remarks at all, I would definitely agree that the pics of the others suck, I in no way can say that of the quality.
    keep watching.

new tank,

So this thread is a journal for me and everyone else to follow. I must write down the bad along with all the good that goes along with it.

So, the BAD, not real bad as I have reacted long before any issues came up.
    YES, I have read many, many threads here on SD about plants, the good, the bad and the ugly about them. and lets face it, a nicely setup planted tank can look pretty awesome. So in preparation of these Snakeskins to move into their "Show" tank, after all the reading I decided to set up the planted tank you see above. although I just posted that picture a couple days ago I transferred the Discus back on Sept 1st.

As the picture shows they seemed to be adapting fine when initially transferred, BUT after about 6 days I begin to notice a change in their activity. pretty much non-existent, lifeless and sitting at the bottom of the tank. I had transferred another group into a 75 gl with the same kind of setup. Both tanks had Discus just sitting at the bottom. they were still eating and would go swimming thru the tank but would wind up back at the bottom. Hiding behind amazon swords, or in the corner of the tank, you get the picture.

well I think we all will agree that if you pay attention Discus are very good at letting you know something is wrong. well these guys, (all 14 of them) were telling me something was wrong. I had driftwood in both tanks as well, so I decided to remove all that. no change, kinda thinking this had something to do with water flow or oxygen I changed the direction of the flow and caused more disturbance to help with oxygen. NO CHANGE.....

whats left??? the plants, really?? I didn't want to admit to myself this could be the issue, SO, haha I began reading some more threads. the more I read, the more it seemed like it might be those plants. So, yesterday afternoon I pulled every stinking plant out of those tanks. I started with the 120 gl, finished it and then to the 75 gl. when I finished yanking the plants out of both tanks the 7 Stendkers in this 120 gl were swimming around in the tank and coming to the front of the glass. YES, that quickly I seen a change. and today, they are even better.

don't get me wrong, I have seen many, many beautiful planted tanks. I just think in every case the water chemistry is different and reacts differently. if I would have left these guys the way they was, there is no doubt I would have lost these fish. I am much happy with a tank full of healthy fish than a tank full of plants with unhealthy fish.

I will begin putting the driftwood back in as I don't think it had anything to do with this.

My mother always told me to listen to my Elders, I think that goes with the fish keeping as well, lesson learned for me anyways.

well, doggonit, I missed what Edwardshansew had to say. hmmm, whats up with that?
    So these guys are doing well in their new home. moved them to the 75 gl for a little and moved the Asian to the 120gl

since I removed the plants they have been much more active, maybe it was just me, not sure. I kept the plants and have them in another 75 gl with Angelfish and tetras.

See, that's the attitude to have! Know the fish and when problems arrive, with or without plants, you can adjust
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    See, that's the attitude to have! Know the fish and when problems arrive, with or without plants, you can adjust
    thanks Marnie, I love plants, and post #54 looks really nice with all those swords in there. But, I am a firm believer that Discus tell you when something is wrong. they are doing great now and I can enjoy them just as much

And the Angelfish seem to live in the plants ( I have had 4 spawns with 2 different pair of angels in 2 weeks since I put those plants with them)

Yep, have a few angel planted tanks and only one adult discus planted tank which I do love, your discus look great. I'd maybe get the sand thinner, I do have sand topped dirt planted tanks but in most of my discus tanks it's no plants and a thin layer of sand is easier to clean or take out if I want to
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    Yep, have a few angel planted tanks and only one adult discus planted tank which I do love, your discus look great. I'd maybe get the sand thinner, I do have sand topped dirt planted tanks but in most of my discus tanks it's no plants and a thin layer of sand is easier to clean or take out if I want to
    thanks Marnie, definitely agree with that. I had all that sand for the plants, so know I am slowly removing the sand as I do water changes. they are ALL back to being very active in the tank so I know they are much happier than they was.
    The Angels are fun, quite a soap opera thing going on with them. hahaha

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast