ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Wild Trombeta x Wild Cuipeua

Default Re: Wild Trombeta x Wild Cuipeua

Oh yes that is true. Bacterial level will shoot thru the roof in that case. In my case it was just he discus going off food without any sign of bacterial infection (that I know of)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to here this, what were the symptoms and how did Al come to the conclusion of a bacteria infection?
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Coree, through my description of what happen with the tank, the temp, and fish behavior and the description of the poop.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

A little update here. I treated the fish for five days (should be a 10 day treatment) prior to going to Maryland and the day before leaving did two 50% WCs and a bit of carbon to remove the meds. I also added some rooibos tea to help support the fish while I was away. I returned this past Friday and observed some of the fish discharging thin, off white poop. After another consult with Al he suggested giving them some time and getting them to eat. So far about 50% of the fish are actively eating/begging and continue to encourage all to eat with live white worms and red wigglers. Al also suggested a metro treatment (treating for hex) might to needed for the non-eaters.

The encouraging news is the fish are not shy or shiddish and look perfectly normal so I am expecting a full recovery by all with time.

Coree, through my description of what happen with the tank, the temp, and fish behavior and the description of the poop.
    Hey Pat your success is ours and your problems ours also. We learn through your posts. So I was wondering if you could be a little more specific about the fish behavior, was it just the shyness? Or was their more a physical appearance that tipped you off? Was the poop white, clear white or milky ? I have learned from reading from this site that behavior changes like nervousness, shyness, or stress bars means, for me, to check the water and to ready for possible illness due to bacteria or parasite irritants. I am so glad that your fish are almost back to normal.
    Coree

Real Name
    Pat

Coree, the first indication there was an issue was one particular fish quit eating and was staying toward the back of the tank. I next observed the fish with a very long, very white, some what thick and fluffy discharge which alarmed me so I asked Al for a consult and told him my observations, history on the low temps and suspicions. From my description he suspected a bacteria infection and we first did a day of Epsom salts to help the fish pass anything in the gut. He then sent me on a hunt for antibiotics where Kanamycin was the first choice, Maracyn 2 was the second and oxytetracycline the third.

My supply of Kanamycin was too low to be of any use so I went hunting for the others locally as time was of the essence since I was leaving for Maryland. I couldn't find anything at the LFSs. Al suggested looking for a water soluble antibiotic sold for cattle or poultry use at a feed store. Since I have horses I went to my local feed store and sure enough they had a water soluble powder form of oxytetracycline which had 102.4 grams of oxytetracycline to 280 grams of filler. Al determined the dosing for me and I treated the next five days after which I prepped the tank for being away for the next eight days.

I received reports from my house sitter while I was away and the fish sounded like they were improving...more outgoing, bars less pronounced etc. I did have Lesley do a couple of small WCs while I was away. Upon my return the fish indeed looked better but I noticed thin, off white discharge on a couple of the fish. I consulted with Al again and he suggested daily WCs, encouraging the fish to eat and giving them some time. He also mentioned that a metro treatment (for hex) might be needed all the fish do not return to normal in a timely manner.

Pat how are you dosing your metro? Once a day? In my experience that dose is not really effective. I normally dose use 1g/10 gallon dose q8h x 10-14d

Real Name
    Pat

Winn, I am not using metro yet.

Oh ok so you're just dosing tetracycline for now and watch if they improve?

Thank you Pat as you probably realize I investigate thoroughly, and am a avid solution seeker for problems. Being helpless with these little lives drives me to ridiculousness. I do very much appreciate your willingness to share in-depth.
    I normally dose use 1g/10 gallon dose q8h x 10-14d
    Ok 1 gram per 10 gallons q=? 8 hours? x 10-14 days?
    Coree

Real Name
    Pat

Just dosing with lots of clean water for now.

Real Name
    Pat

Not a problem Coree. I made a mistake with the low temp and fessed up so other folks didn't go three.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyplants View Post
    Thank you Pat as you probably realize I investigate thoroughly, and am a avid solution seeker for problems. Being helpless with these little lives drives me to ridiculousness. I do very much appreciate your willingness to share in-depth.

Ok 1 gram per 10 gallons q=? 8 hours? x 10-14 days?
    Sorry I just wrote it in short hand

Q is just a medical abbreviation for every so q8h = every 8 hours

Pat I like your approach I did that the first time for my trombeta and he turn out just fine. Wc is seriously the best remedy you can give.

On another note, I would not use tetracycline... It is a board spectrum abx and not really effective for internal infection, we normally use it for skin and mucosal type of infection so if you suspect internal and you decide to treat I would cross tetracycline off the list all together

Real Name
    Pat

Winn, go back to post 246 and read forward.

Yea i thought I read it right the first time.

So you dose w tetracycline, go on vacation, then right now no med just a lot of wc.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast