ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forum's Position on Discus in Planted Tanks....

Default Re: The Forum's Position on Discus in Planted Tanks....

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    That sounds like a pretty good planted tank template. I can't help but notice that the majority of the people posting to this thread are not following it.

Thank you.

Oh, one last question, how long do you quarantine your fish prior to introducing them into the planted tank? Do you treat for anything first (worms, tapes, hex, flukes, etc)?
    Thanks Rick!

To be honest, that simplified template didn't exist (that I know of) until post #149 of this thread. Credit goes to you for dragging it out of me. LOL!

I generally treat all new fish (they are all shipped, nothing local) with PP then an antibacterial. I like Furan 2. After that, hold for approximately 14 days in noting but clean water and monitor. Nothing more.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

And if a parasitic infection was to be introduced into your planted tank what would you do?

( I see a sticky coming)
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chad,
    I am wondering if you think that you would have been just as successful in growing out the fish for the contest if you didn't use ozone?
    Thank you

back to the a New Contest..

its like the THUNDERDOME!!

2 men enter.. 1 man leaves!

Rick represents BB tanks..

Chad planted tanks..

split 1 spawn in half..

its like an ALL STAR game from the Previous Contests!!

i luv it!! its less messy this way..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Israel

I would definitely would sponsor Chad, I would be willing to finance the cost of Chads spawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Sorry to disappoint...... This would make a boring sticky. LOL!!

Never had that problem and to be honest, the only thing I could do would be to pull the stock to QT to handle whatever parasite you're talking about. Never chemically treat a planted tank. If you do, you'll likely kill everything. Depends on the chemical.

Once all fish are removed, I'd probably just run the planted tank as a planted tank for a couple of months. Parasites need hosts.....
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Chad,
    I am wondering if you think that you would have been just as successful in growing out the fish for the contest if you didn't use ozone?
    Thank you
    It's likely. I feel that the ozone added an extra edge to the water quality since feedings were frequent. I would have felt a little more comforatble had the plants in the tank been mature. They got there eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Chad planted tanks..

split 1 spawn in half..

its like an ALL STAR game from the Previous Contests!!

i luv it!! its less messy this way..
    Seriously Skip?? Covered that in 2009. We all had fish from the same spawn. ALL of the other contestants employed BB tanks. I'm not sure what more you think there is to prove. I say you and I compete!

Quote Originally Posted by israelillo81 View Post
    I would definitely would sponsor Chad, I would be willing to finance the cost of Chads spawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I apprecaite the support! We would both have an excellent outcome.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL>> chad.. figured would be more fun.. for you and rick.. instead of this verbal jousting..

meanwhile back at the ranch..

are you still bringing in discus?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Skips got nothing to bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    LOL>> chad.. figured would be more fun.. for you and rick.. instead of this verbal jousting..

meanwhile back at the ranch..

are you still bringing in discus?
    It's a debate Skip. We are presenting our view points and then there is rebuttal. I like hearing what Rick has to say. He's a discus pro and he has wisdom to impart. I'd like to think that someone may be learning from what BOTH of us are bringing to the table.

I don't have anything new coming in at the moment. I've got a slab crack that is growing and I have to tear down EVERYTHING to pour a new slab. Apparently rebar wasn't required in 1954.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    I don't have anything new coming in at the moment. I've got a slab crack that is growing and I have to tear down EVERYTHING to pour a new slab. Apparently rebar wasn't required in 1954.
    ouch!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

i love this id LOVE to see more from the guys who really can show off a planted tank, gives me hope. i did however listen to both sides as best i could and when i started out i DID NOT go planted like i had wanted to at first - so i was grateful for the forum telling me not to START that way. because i can see now i would have killed discus or not had healthy discus by messing with the plants and not having clean enough water for young discus. because of course i bought young discus.

So thank you for keeping this debate going, i hate bashing but i was glad to learn on discus the past year in bb. i did start out with one 3/5" pair in a 55g because i had no choice they paired up and terrorized the tank i had to take them out of the bigger discus tank. well they did grow to 5-6" and spawned for me in the planted 55g so i was able to see how that can work. though im not great at either plants or discus yet i am happy to start learning more about combining the two.

i now have a question how about grown wilds in a 90g planted? should i use the bb 125 or use the established year old planted which i do feel would make them happier as im not growing out but im totally open to guidance here. my first wilds and i feel like its my first discus all over again !

the only issue im having with my plant side is the stupid black hair algae black beard its called right? i am changing the lights up to try and fix it but it means to me something is out of balance. however the plants themselves and the fish are both fine. any suggestions since we ARE mentioning plants here? hehe. thanks guys !! i do listen so please be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    It's likely. I feel that the ozone added an extra edge to the water quality since feedings were frequent. I would have felt a little more comforatble had the plants in the tank been mature. They got there eventually!

Seriously Skip?? Covered that in 2009. We all had fish from the same spawn. ALL of the other contestants employed BB tanks. I'm not sure what more you think there is to prove. I say you and I compete!

I apprecaite the support! We would both have an excellent outcome.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Planted tanks are not easy, and neither is Discus keeping.
    I started planted tanks first many years ago, with soil substrate and small tetras and cories.
    After seeing them thrive, i bought some juvenile Discus.
    And the challenges began, but luckily, i also join the SD Forum at the same time.

Discus needs good water to survive, so they did survive in my very established planted tank, which has very stable parameters and established filtration.
    But I do not know if that is going to be sufficient for juvenile discus to grow big to their full potential.
    Hence all the huge and frequent water change few times weekly.

I do believe in juvenile fish stunting easily, as i am also keeping goldfishes, and they somehow release growth limiting or inhibiting hormones. So water change is really important. Once a week water changes will not be sufficient for juveniles, even if all the parameters reads fine.

The soil substrate needs to be changed to something much easier to maintain and can be vacuumed, hence a major overhaul of the tank.
    Plants (Crypts, tiger lily) are moved into pots with soil, and subtrate is changed to pea gravel for easy vacuuming.
    Carpets of hairgrass all need to go.
    New plants (Java fern, anubias) mounted on driftwood are introduced.
    After so much changes, i cannot call my tank a planted tank anymore. It's more like a low tech tank with gravel, and plants strategically placed in bonsai pots.

End of the day, the discus don't really care what kind of tank there is, as long as they get good food, good rest and good water.
    But for the hobbyist, to provide good food, good rest and good water for the discus, lots of work is needed.

Real Name
    Rick

Chad planted tanks..

split 1 spawn in half..
    Are we starting with 3.1/2 " fish or are we starting with fry?

It's likely. I feel that the ozone added an extra edge to the water quality since feedings were frequent

Hmmm, I am not so sure I agree on this one. Succesful? Maybe. As successful? I think I am going to have to disagree. One thing is for sure, without the ozone, you would have to have done a lot more Wc's. Remove the ozone and the C02.....no way.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is getting interesting. Good to see a formula developing for a healthy planted tank to help people make an educated decision.

Rick, how does adding a piece of driftwood to a healthy bb tank change the parameters, requirements? What are the possible implications for water quality?

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast