AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forum's Position on Discus in Planted Tanks....

Default Re: The Forum's Position on Discus in Planted Tanks....

Well said John!

Sounds like some folks are ruler challenged? LOL!

There are many factors that must be considered in the final result of a discus. Not all are born Stendker Jumbos!

As you stated, the "sure fire" method would certainly be the simplest, minimalistic approach. I feel that fact has been agreed upon. Most are successful.

It's very easy to be drawn in by the beauty of a planted tank and it's possible that this is the very reason mistakes get made. To underestimate what it takes to achieve such an accomplishment should not be taken lightly.

So what did the deer lease yield? Sorry to hear about the flu.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

Your argument seems to teeter between what's easier for the new hobbyist and what's best for discus
    I did not realize that the two were mutually exclusive? In a BB tank, they are not.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

If I'm able to make this work I'll be confident to try more expensive and better stock.
    After all the time and effort, the medications, the cost to replace your plants and substrate, you will come to find out that its the sub-par stock that is really the most expensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I did not realize that the two were mutually exclusive? In a BB tank, they are not.
    Touché!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

Targeting is something a politician does to gain votes. Most of the time it's actually intimidation and fear that seems to work best to gain a political audience. Are you running for office?
    Ahh the irony. I thought a succesfull politician is someone that tells his audience what they want to hear, not what needs to be done.

Glass houses my friend (jk)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL!

Well, all depends on the politician I guess. Some use fear and intimidation tactics, others say what they THINK others want to hear. I guess that all depends on what camp you're from. Ideologies can tear at the fabric of a community to the point of destruction.

That said, I believe in both methods and you believe in one. That's OK.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    David

I wish that was true. If discus (in any tank setup) were easy for a new hobbiest, we could get jumbos $10.

After all the time and effort, the medications, the cost to replace your plants and substrate, you will come to find out that its the sub-par stock that is really the most expensive.
    Aboslutely! Been there, done that! I'm still waiting to see if my discus from quality sources are through dealing with the stuff they got from the poor quality sources because we mixed them months later, or if I need to cull them all, bleach the tanks & start over. We spent roughly $3000 on 12 subpar & 28 quality discus. I have no idea how much on tanks, supplies & meds. I'd guess a minimum of $300 on meds. 16 months later, we have 12 discus, none of which were from the subpar purchase.

No matter what your tank setup is, start with quality or spend more in the long run.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Real Name
    Israel

What is a subpar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

It was just a work weekend. Deer season will not open again until October. I about have the flu whooped. Came back to work today so we will see how I fare.

Thanks for asking.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    Well said John!

Sounds like some folks are ruler challenged? LOL!

There are many factors that must be considered in the final result of a discus. Not all are born Stendker Jumbos!

As you stated, the "sure fire" method would certainly be the simplest, minimalistic approach. I feel that fact has been agreed upon. Most are successful.

It's very easy to be drawn in by the beauty of a planted tank and it's possible that this is the very reason mistakes get made. To underestimate what it takes to achieve such an accomplishment should not be taken lightly.

So what did the deer lease yield? Sorry to hear about the flu.
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Good to hear John!

You take care.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by israelillo81 View Post
    What is a subpar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sub par is basically the fish in this thread....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hat-not-to-buy
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sub par is below an average or standard.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Hey I got a question for the planted tank guys in concerns to my definition post......

I guess this involves goals and/or desires in what you want in the way of discus. As a BB kind of guy we often get painted as a group that only cares about size/shape. We counter with no we are concerned with having the healthiest discus possible. The large size and good shape are just a byproduct of health of the fish. I see PT folks post all of the time that they are perfectly happy with their 4 to 5 inch fish so...................Be honest with me folks................how many of the PT folks would turn down bigger fish is they had the chance. What I mean by that is (and I am not doing this) if someone was to tell you that they would swap your 4-5 inch fish with 6-8 inch fish would you do it? If you were assured of the health and age of the new fish would you take the trade? I would say that 80% would say yes. The other 20%? well 5 -10% of those probably raised the fish and are attached to them...the other 10% are just lying to themselves....LOL.

My opinion is that most PT folks with small fish are ok with their fish but if they could upgrade tomorrow at no cost to bigger fish of the same age they would in a heartbeat.

If you are a PT person and think you would answer no to the chance can you please try to explain to me why? And please use small words because this is one that I am really going to have a hard time understanding.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

beautiful !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DLFL View Post
    I just saw this thread. I am but a newbie with just 16 months with discus. At the moment I use low tech planting to help hide my filtration. This tank is in my living room. The worse thing of having the plants for me is that they are a magnet for waste and food. I have do a good job of cleaning this out of them. I grew out the fish in a bare bottom before adding the substrate and plants. The substrate is not a problem.

- Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

The price jump from a 4" fish $75-$90 to a 6"+ $200 is amazing. Those 2 inches more than double the price of the fish

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Hey I got a question for the planted tank guys in concerns to my definition post......

I guess this involves goals and/or desires in what you want in the way of discus. As a BB kind of guy we often get painted as a group that only cares about size/shape. We counter with no we are concerned with having the healthiest discus possible. The large size and good shape are just a byproduct of health of the fish. I see PT folks post all of the time that they are perfectly happy with their 4 to 5 inch fish so...................Be honest with me folks................how many of the PT folks would turn down bigger fish is they had the chance. What I mean by that is (and I am not doing this) if someone was to tell you that they would swap your 4-5 inch fish with 6-8 inch fish would you do it? If you were assured of the health and age of the new fish would you take the trade? I would say that 80% would say yes. The other 20%? well 5 -10% of those probably raised the fish and are attached to them...the other 10% are just lying to themselves....LOL.

My opinion is that most PT folks with small fish are ok with their fish but if they could upgrade tomorrow at no cost to bigger fish of the same age they would in a heartbeat.

If you are a PT person and think you would answer no to the chance can you please try to explain to me why? And please use small words because this is one that I am really going to have a hard time understanding.

-john

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast