ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: The Forum's Position on Discus in Planted Tanks....

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: The Forum's Position on Discus in Planted Tanks....

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    How anyone can say that a bare bottom or hardscape tank looks better than a planted tank with discus is beyond me. I know nothing more beautiful than healthy discus in a planted scape! The fact that it's one of the hardest things to keep and maintain is another subject...
    I completely agree with you on the looks of the planted discus tank Jorgen . Nothing can beat a good planted setup with a fullgrown quality discus in it.

One of the most important aspects or should i say drawbacks or succesfull discus keeping under theese conditions IMO is to way under stock your tank .
    Whenever I see a succesfull story of a fully planted tank with discus in it and it runs without problems for a longer period its almost always stocked with 1 discus per 20-30 gallons or maybe even less , like in this case here .
    So its a compromise that we have to deal with .
    Last edited by Filip; 03-19-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    I keep both BB & planted discus tanks. I like them both. I feel a planted discus tank is a beauty to behold.
    Hello,

I am new to this forum, so I hope i'm doing this right.

I was reading the forum and came across your response to the dialog to planted discus tanks. It seems like you have some experience under your belt on this topic and I would really like to pick you brain if you will allow me.

I have wanted to keep discus in my new heavily planted tank (it has been cycling for a month now - no i do not plan on putting them in at this moment). I was planning on adding the discus once my other inhabitants are fully settled and no problems have shown up (none so far) I have been listening to presentations, talks and reading forums about discus keeping but there is much information to sift and hope i get the right guidance. I am confident in the planted aspect but a complete blank slate on experience in discus. I do not like bb tanks, i dislike the look and would really like for this to be a successful undertaking yet i keep reading "if you don't have experience in discus AND planted tanks then it's a no go. How can i gather experience in this area if it is shun?

(did not want to write a book so I kept the details to a min)

My tank below to show I'm not blowing smoke and I really do take this hobby seriously.

54 sm.jpg

All advice is welcome. No rudeness.

Registered Member

I’m new here and this topic called my attention.
    I guess the key for successfully keeping discus in planted tanks is to learn about both subjects.

In may case I kept a planted tank for about 8 years. During that time I learned about it. Then I started little by little switching to fish from the amazon (my tiger barbs were dying of old age). After keeping otocinclus, ramirezis and rummynous for about 6 months I found some discus available. I wasn’t sure about it but I decided to take them home anyway. At the beginning I had a hard time adapting them and learning about them. But now after one year, my plants are fine and all my discus and the other tank mates look happy.

Now my problem is having 10 discus that have grown about three times their original size (about 6”) in a 75gal with plants the keep growing and also reducing the space.

I have to specify that I’ve never use CO2 after having discus. I tried that with some homemade solutions but it was unreliable and the CO2 fluctuations were starting to promote the growth of algae. And I understand that those fluctuations aren’t good at all for the fish either. So maybe even with a professional CO2 equipment that would be a problem for the discus. But there I have no experience.

Real Name
    Tom

Planted tanks take more work. Starting the discus at the 2” size for me was a plus. They grew up in a planted tank. What I’ve learned is once established don’t add to them. Qt any new dither fish. Planted tanks can go bad very quickly if a sick fish is added.
    Welcome to the site!! Introduce yourself in that section of the site. We all like pictures . I’ve got a thread in the planted section. Showing my journey with 2” discus and a planted 125g.DAFCCC5C-7359-4D1C-803E-CF391A088A24.jpgCCD4BA2F-2F69-4E1D-ABB2-A031B542E846.jpgF4E3043B-BB63-466F-839B-9FA8F04F7329.jpg

I'm different from most Discus enthusiasts. I'm into growing the highest quality Discus I can. I'm a breeder so quality maters. I go the BB route. It all depends on what look you want. I agree that a beautifully planted Discus is more beautiful to everyone except for a few Discus geeks.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

In the last 11 1/2 years into discus keeping, I had good results with a bare bottom tank with just potted plants in the tank. Like Liz stated I enjoy the best quality in growing out my fish from 3.0 inches upon purchase. Current proof of my 125-gallon discus tank: https://youtu.be/FdR-6EEQOGA

Registered Member

This is my 75 gal tank.
    Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. The discus were eating, that’s why they’re all gathered in the same corner. And you might not be able to tell but there’s a lot of fish in there. 10 Discus, 20 Rummy nose, 14 Corys, 2 Rams, 4 Otos and lots of snails and shrimps. I’ve been thinking about rearranging everything to give the fish a little more room but I don’t have many options because the aquarium’s footprint is 4ft x only 12in. 01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi ecadena, based on the dimensions given your tank is actually a 55 gallon unless it is a tall tank. A standard 55 is 21 inches tall. A 75 is 4 feet by 18 inches width by 21 inches tall. Pretty tank BTW but would suggest reducing the number of fish or get a larger tank
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

The tank is 28in tall, but you're right it's actually a 70 gal. I don't know why I though it was bigger.
    And the # of fish in there is definitely the problem that I'm dealing with at the moment. I'm fighting against the idea of set up a second tank and I don't want the give my fish to anybody. People tend to let them die.
    Thanks for your kind works.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ecadena View Post
    The tank is 28in tall, but you're right it's actually a 70 gal. I don't know why I though it was bigger.
    And the # of fish in there is definitely the problem that I'm dealing with at the moment. I'm fighting against the idea of set up a second tank and I don't want the give my fish to anybody. People tend to let them die.
    Thanks for your kind works.
    A second tank is definitely well worth considering and I think your fish would thank you also
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

My custom made 190 gallon tank.
    Switched from a reef aquarium to a discus tank.
    Running for 2 months.
    12 piwowarski red turquoise are in the tank for 4 weeks.

overzicht 1.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Hardscape that allows daily, 100% water changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWxK...channel=Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

For me my whole life is based on COMMON sense which gets stronger with AGE.....I love planted tanks.....but long term ( 3 to 5 years) we normally get lazy because now the plants are happy.....so now I can sit back for a while.......!!!!!

BOOOOOM now your lovely Kings are now amazingly ill..... I cannot think how this has happen.

Now lets feed some more Beefheart mix so it can add to the rest of the uneatting beefheart under that log or rock in the corner....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Top tank Tom...it looks like you,ve turned Pro...with the bare bottom...did you experience any heath problems along your journey......the more problems you have had the more we learn.....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Quote Originally Posted by andy77 View Post
    Hello All,

Another AWESOME thread. You guys may have to get used to me. I promise to try to always try to "play nice."

I have had what I consider some success with discus in a HEAVILY-PLANTED CO2 injected tank and I was relatively ignorant at the time. In Slovakia 10 years ago, I acquired 6 or 7 Red Alenquers approximately 1 1/2-2" long, maybe tank-raised Czech origin. Over the course of a year and a half, they grew to 4-5". If I remember correctly the pH was around 5.5-6.0. The colors on these fish were top-notch. Could they have grown larger in a BB tank? Maybe, but it was only a 50 gal. breeder and they were aesthetically to scale with the tank. To me they were perfect.

A pair formed and they were successful at hatching and began to rear their fry. This was a heavily stocked tank with only air-driven sponge filters and only a 20% a week water change of pure RO water from the very basic RO unit that produced water in TDS at 15. The fry were eaten gradually over the course of a week, with if memory serves, jumbo Cardinal tetras being the main culprits. At this point, my daughter and I saw Finding Nemo and the planted tank stock was donated to the LFS. Next up Reef Tanks and many hard lessons.

In the planted tank, I had a population of Cherry Red shrimp which the discus loved to snack on. The thickets of Rotala kept them from decimating the population. Upon a discus "puff", if the shrimp swims downward it means safety, if the shrimp swims upwards it is dinner. I was unable to successfully to keep Crystal Red shrimp in this setup as they are more sensitive. After much reading on Reef Central, I later surmised that I was losing the Crystal Reds due to the high pH swings in heavily-planted tanks after lights out. When I continue my Discus experiment in the fall, I will have a sump with an opposing photoperiod from the main tank.

To me the biggest challenge of a planted tank is not disease. I had trouble with my reef tank after 2 years of high stocking levels and a deep sand bed. The buildup of Dissolved Organic Compounds over time is my enemy. I am NOT a big fan of water changes, but I believe in giving my animals the best of care. As I wrote, the EXPERIMENT begins anew in the Fall. Back to my freshwater origins.

Thank You so much for all the knowledge that you are kind enough to share with me,
    andy
    Quote Originally Posted by fishermn7 View Post
    very well said i tried the discus planted thing twice, here is what i learned from experience, low carpeting plants need so much light it is easier to do in a shallower tank with CO2 than a deeper tank with discus, the low plants capture alot of food waste and they do not gobble it up like one would expect at least i thought they would, needless to say i love the plants but love the fish more maybe a java fern or anubia for me from now on driftwood and sand
    Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    At one time I had an very nice 55 gallon high tech planted tank, got discus from non sponsor of SD. Within an week all six fish died. Found SD, read and read, got educated, and since being a newbie dumped my nice planted tank, sold off the CO2 equipment, lights, then bought some discus from SD sponsors, went BB. Did the water changes, fish grew fast and healthy, some breeding, more tanks, grow outs, selling fry. Three years later I'm now a better discus keeper, planted tanks are fine, but BB are so much easy to maintain in the long run. My 125 gallon display tank has driftwood and thin layer of pool filter sand. Planted tanks are nice but my discus fish care is the main issue, juggling between plant care and discus up keeping something will suffer.
    Well said.....I have had the same experience.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast