AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Meds to have in my cabinet? Metro, prazi, flubendazole, quickcure, dewormers. Help!!

Registered Member

Default Meds to have in my cabinet? Metro, prazi, flubendazole, quickcure, dewormers. Help!!

I am new to discus, have couple threads here with ongoing discussions..

I live outside USA, and my friend is coming from there in couple weeks. I need to order meds beforehand while i still can, because i cant get them where i live.

What general medicine i should have on hand, just in case? I read a lot here and some names i pit in thread title. It is all really confusing for newbie, different people have different methods,

Please name medicine and what it does, how you use it, and of possible the link where i could order it ( i usually order stuff from amazon and kensfish, any other resoursces gladly welcome).

A sidenote: i recently bought four discus, and two of them not eating since i got them, two weeks ago, maybe flagellates or flukes, idk, they look healthy and swim around, over 5inch. So after u guys here name meds i need to have, i will open another thread of how to deal in my currentsituation, but thats another story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Default Re: Meds to have in my cabinet? Metro, prazi, flubendazole, quickcure, dewormers. Hel

Well my medicine cabinet contains the follows and the does the follow as well.
    API Furan 2: for fungal infections, gill and pretty much most outside infections.
    Metronidazole: use for treating flagallets or hex. Very effective when the infection is present and I suggest to buy as much of it as you can. (I get mines from Jemhco.com)
    Hikari PraziPro: for use when flukes, tapeworms and other worms are detected. ( can't remmeber the names on the label) very effective but very expensive as well.
    Aquarium salt: some people use non ioded table salt, because it's cheaper. I use it to treat any disease before adding chemicals to my water along with elevated temperatures.
    Epsom salt: use for bloating and to aid fishes to pass dead tapeworm or whe constipation occurs.

HTH
    ---Two years into the hobby and loving every minute of it---

Registered Member

Default Re: Meds to have in my cabinet? Metro, prazi, flubendazole, quickcure, dewormers. Hel

Thank you so much! I am goingj to check my local pharmacy for metro, if not will order it from usa too, and everything else u suggest.. Thanks so much!

Is there anything else other people use?

Registered Member

Yes in fact I forgot to mention quick cure. Very effective and a must to have.
    ---Two years into the hobby and loving every minute of it---

Quote Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
    Yes in fact I forgot to mention quick cure. Very effective and a must to have.
    Careful on that one...it contains an strong oxidizer and noxious gas...formalin. Thats a big issue to bring on a plane. The OP really needs to check what they are allowed as well... some things like flubendazole,metronidazole and levamisole are regulated medications in some countries. What ever they get , document it well, and keep it in its original packaging.

What country do you live in ? maybe someone else here can tell you where you can find local things?
    -al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Ok. I ordered prazipro and furan 2 fron kensfish

Registered Member

How about Furazolidone, any good? And i also found metro at local pharmacy, but contetnts show some other supplemental ingredients in smal quantities like gelatin and some other stuff, its not pure metro, is that ok?

Registered Member

Metro from local pharmacy in Spain comes in 250 mg tablets (Brand NORMON) and is used and recommended by many professionals in the area as it is not easy to get pure metro as in US. So my answer would be yes it's ok but the pure stuff is better as it has no binders etc! Hope that helps.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFCYNWA View Post
    Metro from local pharmacy in Spain comes in 250 mg tablets (Brand NORMON) and is used and recommended by many professionals in the area as it is not easy to get pure metro as in US. So my answer would be yes it's ok but the pure stuff is better as it has no binders etc! Hope that helps.
    I am also not in states, here i found Nycomed brand, tablet contains 500mg metro and some other binding stuff.

The tablet form of metro will contain the stated amount of metronidazole. If you weigh a 500mg tablet it will weigh more than 500mg, the rest is binder and is harmless.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Monica

Levamisole - I've used it when I've gotten German Rams who have infected my tank. For some reason, Rams lately seem to come with them so I usually isolate first but even then - sometimes shows up later. I ended up with an entire tank of Angels and my main tank infected. I bought Levamisole online (cattle dewormer in powder form - enough to do 500 head) and had to measure minute amounts for the tank. It was pretty much the only thing that saved my aquariums. I hope none of you EVER experience it but if you do - it's definitely the only thing that works on this nasty worm.