AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: tds adjustment for RO unit for discus tank water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default tds adjustment for RO unit for discus tank water

I have been only using a 5 stage RO unit for discus for the last 6 months. Today I had it serviced and noticed the main or the first filter cartridge was muddy after 6 months and had changed it to a new one. Now my query is that there is an adjustment which can adjust the tds from range of about 10 to about 100.I set it at 100 as my well water from where the source of water has a tds of about 450 to 480.
    My query is should I reduce the tds further down to 50 or less or 100 tds is good enough.
    Will be grateful for any advice

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: tds adjustment for RO unit for discus tank water

Question, what are you attempting to accomplish with the RO unit? 100 is a perfectly good TDS for discus, but they might be just fine in 450 to 480 as well. All my growouts are in aged tap water and it pushes 400 out of the tap at times. Aging it in my case actually brings down the TDS by close to 50 points, the same might be true with you as well. Really depends a lot on what is making up the higher TDS.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Thanks Cozykeith

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Megan Fischer

Hi
    I live in an area where the tap water is very hard so am using RO water. I also use this water for my pbl and crystal shrimp tanks. With the shrimp I adjust the tds to 130 and 140 with a kh of 3 and a gh of 6. The tds is adjusted using a product called salty shrimp

as I am new to discus and this forum, I was wondering about using the same method with discus in a planted 90 gallon with pressurized co2?

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere else.

Thanks

Megan

Real Name
    Rick

Personally, I think the OP's tds from the tap is a bit high. I know this slaps in the face of conventional wisdom of 99% of people on this forum, but while discus may very well tolerate such high tds and Ph, they do seem a whole lot happier in lower TDS water ( I have found they could really care less about ph). Any one that doubts this, I challenge you to take a pb discus, keep it in high TDS water for a month, then, try keeping it on lower TDS (>100ppm) water for a month.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Personally, I think the OP's tds from the tap is a bit high. I know this slaps in the face of conventional wisdom of 99% of people on this forum, but while discus may very well tolerate such high tds and Ph, they do seem a whole lot happier in lower TDS water ( I have found they could really care less about ph). Any one that doubts this, I challenge you to take a pb discus, keep it in high TDS water for a month, then, try keeping it on lower TDS (>100ppm) water for a month.

÷1240 (my well water tds two months into discus keeping got worse, winter water amt lowered)

I saw happier fish right away even though so many said my old lower but still like 450 t's was ok they did not seem truly thriving to me. Not sick at all but a tiny bit stressed. Now I haul and it's much better!
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com