ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP FUNGUS OR BACTERIA??

Default Re: PLEASE HELP FUNGUS OR BACTERIA??

Paul is absolutely correct about the husbandry, once I started using a microscope on my fish and water, I learned very quickly how important QT and water changes are. It totally changed the mantra I was repeating with fish.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member

Discus was looking dark again this morning, back to square one! So I did a 50% WC and treated with SERA Bactopur and a little more of the salts (SERA Ectopur) I added which apparently work well with the medicine but half dose this time as last night I did full dose and discus changed dramatically but I noticed this morning that TDS had risen to 550!! But as I say the discus seemed to love it! Check previous pics!

Registered Member

HI yim11, I added salt (SERA ECTOPUR) because I know that fungi hates salt but I also know that discus don't like salt but I thought it was worth a try as I didn't particularly want to use meds. I was very surprised to see such a change so quickly but as I have recently posted from this morning fish gone dark again!

Real Name
    Rick

A rise in TDS is to be expected when treating with salt, that is completely natural. I am having a really hard time finding out the ingredients of some of your Sera meds, but your going to need to treat this fish in a QT tank, to have a better chance of success.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

1) the filter media was from the same tank and I added more new filter media, I just replaced the drip filter on the top of the aquarium for a more powerful canister filter, 2000 l/h.
    2) NOPE!! I did not quarantine them but I don't think the problem is the newbies! It is the sharp Nitrate rise after the filter clean.

Honestly, Nitrates I test for every other day as I go by the over 10 mg/l then it's time for some fresh water.

THANKS for concern

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyplants View Post
    Paul is absolutely correct about the husbandry, once I started using a microscope on my fish and water, I learned very quickly how important QT and water changes are. It totally changed the mantra I was repeating with fish.
    Please Guys, the problem came from the Nitrate spike, NOT the Newbies!
    Although I don't disagree with what you are saying!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    A rise in TDS is to be expected when treating with salt, that is completely natural. I am having a really hard time finding out the ingredients of some of your Sera meds, but your going to need to treat this fish in a QT tank, to have a better chance of success.
    Thanks for reply but I have always had less success when moving to quarantine, as if they get more stressed! Anyway fungus has spread to other discus so that's why I decided to treat whole tank. I will try to post some pics of SERA MED INGREDIENTS, Thanks again!

Registered Member

SERA MEDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Registered Member

Sorry, not best pics!

Are your nitrates down and stable now? If so are your fish still turning dark? If your nitrates are stable and low, and fish are still dark, then perhaps the spike was only the catalyst to some thing else going on. It is only the nitrates that jumped not your ammonia levels or nitrite levels. Correct? I don't no the product you are using, so can not comment on the treatment. I really don't get a feel for the time frame on the treatment also. Is it a possibility that the fish are now reacting to the treatment, again time frame? Do your fish still have what looks like fungus? Or just dark? Are they hiding, any other symptoms, clamped fins? Are they eating? Are you using the food or the direct to water product, both contain nifurpirinol, which kills gram neg. and gram pos. and nitrifying bacteria, which would wipe out your bio system.
    Last edited by dirtyplants; 02-22-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Real Name
    Rick

I am sorry, I cannot make out the ingredients in your picture, and I am not familiar with these products. I disagreed with Paul's assessment on the cause of the problem, but that doesn't change the proper course of treatment, in which I will defer to Paul, as I have no idea what meds are at your disposal in regards to Spain, nor do I have any experience in using them.

I sincerely doubt that the raise in nitrates was the root cause of the issue, and if what you are saying is correct, and the symptoms existed prior to the introduction of new fish (and regardless this is a bad practice), what it appeared to me that "might" have happened (its always guess work from afar) is the new filter, with its greatly increased discharge of water/current, disturbed the mulm and debris in your substrate and plants, and more or less kicked a sleeping dog. (aka my PTS remark).

At any rate, it's best to let someone with a better knowledge of the meds your using to chime in and give advice, but my QT tank recommendation stands, regardless.

good luck
    Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i agree that the spike in Nitrates wasn't the root cause. It indicates that there was a stressor of some kind however. It would stand to reason that if the nitrates spiked that much by introducing a more efficient filter that the water wasn't previously being filtered well enough and there was probably nitrites present (an even bigger stressor and more likely to have caused issues than nitrates).

I also agree that a QT tank is in order for treatment. The treatment will be more effective and most meds, salt the least of which, in the planted tank will harm the plants. If in fact salt is called for, why not just do salt dips that would be more effective?

Quote Originally Posted by LFCYNWA View Post
    Please Guys, the problem came from the Nitrate spike, NOT the Newbies!
    Although I don't disagree with what you are saying!

LFCYNWA, in all fairness you came to this section looking for help and there are people trying to help you that have more experience than most, so as much as you would like to hope or wish that the new fish didn't introduce the problem, you'd be better served to listen to some of the advice you've been given because in reality you have no way of reasonably ruling that out at this point unless of course you did scrapings of the new fish along with fecal samples and such and had them examined beforehand. Really, it's a moot point at this juncture since the fish are already sick.

Len

Registered Member

Sorry Rick, I don't think I explained the filter change well enough! I installed the new canister filter back in November with the media from my previous drip filter, so it's not exactly new, it's had 2 deep cleans, one each month!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    i agree that the spike in Nitrates wasn't the root cause. It indicates that there was a stressor of some kind however. It would stand to reason that if the nitrates spiked that much by introducing a more efficient filter that the water wasn't previously being filtered well enough and there was probably nitrites present (an even bigger stressor and more likely to have caused issues than nitrates).

I also agree that a QT tank is in order for treatment. The treatment will be more effective and most meds, salt the least of which, in the planted tank will harm the plants. If in fact salt is called for, why not just do salt dips that would be more effective?

LFCYNWA, in all fairness you came to this section looking for help and there are people trying to help you that have more experience than most, so as much as you would like to hope or wish that the new fish didn't introduce the problem, you'd be better served to listen to some of the advice you've been given because in reality you have no way of reasonably ruling that out at this point unless of course you did scrapings of the new fish along with fecal samples and such and had them examined beforehand. Really, it's a moot point at this juncture since the fish are already sick.
    Hi Len, Thanks for input and concern. But please read previous posts I am 100% sure it did not come from newbies! I think I have reasonably ruled that out!! No need for scrapings, I don't want to piss them off any more as it is!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast