ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing but frustration!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Default Nothing but frustration!!

Will I EVER be able to relax and enjoy these fish?? Sometimes I wish I had never seen a Discus. I have 5 babies in a 30 gal bare bottom grow out. Change 50% AM, 50% PM; with aged water which is really a PAIN. Had them about a week. They go into hiding, won't eat and are stressed when it is just the 5 of them. They appear to be REALLY happy and come alive when I put one of my Juvies with them. HOWEVER, the Juvie will pick on them constantly. SO what do I do? Leave the Juvie in, or take the Juvie out??

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Nothing but frustration!!

When you say five babies how old?
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Shane Sims

1. Take the juvie out if it's stressing the other fish.
    2. Get a bigger tank - with a single centerpiece that's easy to clean around/under, but that gives them a place to hide, which will help relieve some stress.
    3. Review the location of your tank. If you can place it up higher so that you're not always standing over the discus, that's better. Also, make sure it's in a darker place with less house traffic.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PHUONG OR JOSH

If they were happy before the juvie arrived. I would take the juvie out. and leave them like before.
    Josh

If they were my "Five babies" depending on how old they are but they sound pretty young by the way it sounds. I would get a smaller tank for them like a ten gallon and raise them in there until they start eating good and feel more comfortable in there surroundings. Just my thoughts
    Chicago Discus

Real Name
    Shane Sims

So if Josie says get a smaller tank, then do that, and ignore my advice about a larger one!
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

I don't know how old. They are about 1.5". They are in my bedroom where it is quiet and hardly any traffic. Check water AM and PM. It is excellent. They will not eat without the Juvie, nor come out of their cave. The Juvie picks on them BUT they come out and eat and are happy while he is in there.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrhodes1 View Post
    I don't know how old. They are about 1.5". They are in my bedroom where it is quiet and hardly any traffic. Check water AM and PM. It is excellent. They will not eat without the Juvie, nor come out of their cave. The Juvie picks on them BUT they come out and eat and are happy while he is in there.
    They are pretty small for a large tank with so few of them. If you don't want to change the tank then leave the Juv in its better if they are eating then hiding
    Chicago Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

I have 3 other Juvies. Would it be better to put them all in together??

on the bright side, you're doing a kick *** job with your water change regime. everyone's given you sound advice but in all honesty they'll end up just fine. hell, it's only been a week. some groups will be outgoing in less than an hour within a tank while others may take some time. maybe even see if someone nearby sells adult brine shrimp. that'll make the most shy of discus forget all about being shy when they're instinct to eat something wiggling is all around them. now are they really not eating at all??? hell, if the juvie picks on them equally then that's fine. it's natural. if that helps them eat then put a juvie in there and maybe put a cone or two (or some obstacle) to allow them to take cover when they need a break. once they start growing then odds are in the favor of the group producing a fish that will end up bullying the juvie in the future.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Put my two babysitters in with them. I have 2 Dwarf Gourami who are doing a REALLY good job of taking care of them. The kids really like them and are eating like horses. The Gourami don't seem to mind at all. I was about ready to PULL my hair out!!

that was going to be my other suggestion... a tankmate or two of different species. good job penny! and sorry, but now I have the "Big Bang Theory" song going through my head
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Thank you. I'm trying really hard to do the right thing but sometimes the right thing is just out of reach....

nah, you're right on track. hell, I forgot all about using dwarf gouramis. others have used a few for tank mates on here just fine. nothing's out of reach with discus and you're definitely improvising well. keep us posted as your little guys develop! and we all always love pics!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jason

How are the babysitters working out? I was thinking of trying that.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast