ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Paludariums

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Cool Discus Paludariums

Seen some great photos of Discus Paludariums on diyfishkeepers.com site. Have any one kept them and if so what size of tank did they use ideally.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Boblitz

Default Re: Discus Paludariums

I just completed mine. It is a 70G rimless tank. I combined two 3D backgrounds to extend above the tank by about 16 inches. The background above the water has a waterfall, and is entirely planted. Below the water I have 6 Discus, 4 Emerald Corys and 7 Cardinal Tetras. The tank is heavily planted using warm water plants. I used Eco-Complete in conjunction with DAS BioBoxes which contain soil. Most of my hardware is hidden behind the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Boblitz

I must add some new pictures and start a thread on my set up. I have had a ton of plant growth above and below the water since I added my Discus 5 weeks prior. The picture above is from my initial set up and some plants have thrived while others have been replaced. The good news is that my Discus from Hans are really doing great! A few are growing so fast that I'm amazed!. They love the plants and all the cover they provide. They are always searching and sneaking through the dense plant cover.

Real Name
    Ricardo

would love to see fts on that.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Boblitz

I had to do a quick search to see if I could learn what "fts" means, but I failed. Tell me what you want to know if you were even addressing me. I would be happy to share some more ics or details about my tank. The plants have been growing like crazy and it looks much better than the above initial picture which only shows the terrestrial portion.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Boblitz

the whole shebang
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nicely done. And yes, FTS was indeed a full tank shot

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com