AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mark's Discus in Brooklyn

Registered Member

Default Mark's Discus in Brooklyn

Did anyone order discus from this guy? Discus seems good in the picture and he sells his discus on Aquabid.

I dont see he is one of the sponsor on here though.

Registered Member

Default Re: Mark's Discus in Brooklyn

Nobody?

I moved this thread here from General. General is not the place to discuss vendors, whether they're sponsors or not. If people are looking for feedback on a non-sponsor, they may ask here. The replies they receive must be first-hand experiences only or they'll be removed.

Real Name
    Lindsay

I have two fish from Mark. He is honest and straightforward, good shipper, and cares very much about his fish and service provided. Not all of his fish appear to be superb quality, but the two I got are very nice and arrived big, fat, and very healthy. He will send individual pictures of fish, and that is very helpful for gauging their quality. He will answer any questions and even discouraged me from buying one of his fish as a breeder because it is older and not as likely to be a vigorous breeder. Mark will also try to sex-out fish, and if he's not 99% sure he will tell you so. Both of the males I got from him came as "proven," and one of them is currently tending fry. That's an A+ for honestly.

I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ok guys, deleted all non first hand posts. If you wish to wish to assist the OP with suggestions. Kindly use the PM system. Please do not make me remind folks again about the intended use of this particular forum. If you are unsure please read this Feedback-ALL-READ-THIS!!!!!. Do not make me ask again.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Pat, you deleted my first hand post. Not really a problem. I spoke to Mark today on the phone. He is emailing me photos. He does not update his web site. Go thru his web site and email him. He will email you photos of the actual fish for sale. He is not a store and does not want visitors or shoppers. You can pick up, he does some deliveries or FedEx. He currently has 5-6" fish for sale. I do not know if he sells smaller sizes. I will try him soon. I still have Velvet on one fish, so maybe I will see him in March. I will update SD when I do go there. I think this qualifies as a first hand experience although I have not visited or purchased yet.
    Last edited by Elliots; 02-26-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

Elliot, you make contact. Once you have had a transaction feel free to post that as first hand experience.
    Pat

Registered Member

Pat, when I do a transaction I will post it but I actually spoke to Mark on the telephone. That is a first hand experience I think. Reading his website is not a first hand experience. I always try to give SD members as much info as I can then they can do what they want.

Real Name
    Pat

Elliot, with a phone call or email you still have nothing real you can make a judgement on. You might be able to say that person was really nice or rude as can be i.e. first impression. Until you actually have a transaction with a person where you ordered fish, had them shipped, the fish arrived exactly as you ordered and the quality you expected...or you went to his facility and it was well kept, the fish were healthy and were good quality..or you ordered fish, they were shipped and arrived dead or were poor quality and the vendor was unwilling to work with you to make the transaction right. These are examples of first hand experience and are based on something real. Hope this makes sense.
    Pat

I met Mark at his 2nd fish house location (I believe) years back when he was a member here. I remember that he was breeding a lot of angels at that time. My experience with him was positive but that was years ago. I believe he open a new location 1-2 years ago. Have not kept in touch but all I can say is he has been around for a few years. His native language is not English so there may be a language barrier when communicating with him.

Real Name
    Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    I met Mark at his 2nd fish house location (I believe) years back when he was a member here. I remember that he was breeding a lot of angels at that time. My experience with him was positive but that was years ago. I believe he open a new location 1-2 years ago. Have not kept in touch but all I can say is he has been around for a few years. His native language is not English so there may be a language barrier when communicating with him.
    His email communications are pretty easy to decipher, but he was a little hard to understand over the phone. I don't feel like there was a language barrier that affected my dealing with him or understanding him. He answered emails quickly, and he called the day the discus were delivered to make sure everything was okay.

Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedbacks. It was little odd to me when he told me I'm not allowed go inside of facility. I guess that's how he likes to do business. I live close to him. Now I know his wasn't intended to do that to me only. He has a good price on Hikari BW 16 oz. slab. Unfortunately I will not be able to see all his discus.