AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Beefheart question

Default Beefheart question

Will feeding beefheart to a display tank that gets WCs 2-3 times a week spoil water quality? The fish eat all/most of the mix. Right now only feeding before WCs. Would like to feed it daily, 2-3 times because it's the food the fish seem to like best. Thanks.

Edit: also should add that I prefer feeding it because it won't float on surface and get drawn into overflow like FDBWs and flakes
    Last edited by Discusdude7; 02-25-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Default Re: Beefheart question

I think you're the only one who can answer the question. Try it and see what happens, and if your water quality suffers, then go back to your original protocol.

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

+1 to what Don says. For me personally, mine are on an all day mix of food. By this I mean a morning of either BH or Frozen BW, mid day of Mysis Shrimp or FDBW, afternoon of Spirulina and/or Krill and evening is something that wasn't consumed in the last 6-8 hours. My WC's are 50-75% every other day and it's crystal clear water. The important things are always at 0 and my pH is consistently 6.8.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
    afternoon of Spirulina and/or Krill...
    Your post caught my eye as that is the first mention I have heard of feeding krill to discus. I see the stuff at my LFS and have wondered about it. I thought maybe it was only for salt water. It also looked like the pieces might be quite large. So it works well for your discus? Thanks for any feedback.

Krill, mycis tuna, brine shrimp, salmon is all good make your own paste, you just need to think what these creatures ate and it gets past on to your fish. All in one nutrition

AL

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Will feeding beefheart to a display tank that gets WCs 2-3 times a week spoil water quality? The fish eat all/most of the mix. Right now only feeding before WCs. Would like to feed it daily, 2-3 times because it's the food the fish seem to like best. Thanks.

Edit: also should add that I prefer feeding it because it won't float on surface and get drawn into overflow like FDBWs and flakes
    If this display tank has substrate I would be very careful. Even if the fish eat most of the BH mix, I would be concerned with the portion that they miss. BH is inherently messy...If you are going to feed it your display tank, I would stick to doing so before water changes. The problem is the BH they miss will settle in to the substrate and rot... leaving open the possibility of the discus ingesting or of you feeding a bacteria population you do not want.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by kevin.whisler View Post
    Your post caught my eye as that is the first mention I have heard of feeding krill to discus. I see the stuff at my LFS and have wondered about it. I thought maybe it was only for salt water. It also looked like the pieces might be quite large. So it works well for your discus? Thanks for any feedback.
    kevin-

Although they are rather large, I usually crush them and toss it in with the Spirulina since it's frozen and has to thaw. What I use is San Francisco Bay Brand and they do have a frozen Krill package also. If you Google them, there's the ability to "find a store" near you. Leave the product name blank as it does not recognize that selection and it will tell you your area does not exist lol.

Default Beefheart question

Does BH spoil your water even if the fish eat all of it within 15-20 mins?
    It's a bare bottom tank.