ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Acriflavine treatment length/strength ?

Registered Member

Default Acriflavine treatment length/strength ?

So a few of my fish (swordtail and discus) came down with velvet a few days ago. Popped in some acriflavine to fix that up. Everyone is looking good and eating, however I can't seem to shake the velvet on one of the discus.

Today is day 5 of treatment with one initial dose of 1 teaspoon/10 gallons, as per what the instructions seem to say.

What course of action should I take now seeing as it doesn't seem to have helped the one discus much ? Did I underdose due to mis-interpreting the instructions ?

Registered Member

Default Re: Acriflavine treatment length/strength ?

I do not know about dosage of Acriflavine but one of my Discus has Velvet. I am treating with something else for the third time in less than two weeks. I am not sure if you treat and still see the whitish spots the fish will get better without additional treatment so I re-treat. I have noticed this with other ailments. I may be treating for too long but better too long than too short. I do not know about that Acriflavine and its side effects but if there are no side effects, retreat. Does it effect your beneficial bacteria? If not retreat.

I don't use acriflavine as my first choice to treat velvet, if I did I'd also add salt @ 2grams/litre. Copper sulphate (coppersafe by waterlife is best in the UK) would be my go to med, I used to use quinine when I could get it. Always cover the tank and switch the tank lights off as oodinium needs light.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Rick

I thought it was called cuprazin? Coppersafe is a mardel product (essentially the same I would imagine)
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is Cupramine, which is ionic copper and must be accurately used, is very effective, but can be lethal if not monitored precisely!
    Copper Safe is chelated and more stable, but can take longer to act.
    I have used both, but monitoring is essential to keep the concentrations within the effective range.

Copper is most effective on oodinium.
    Don't combine with other meds.

hth
    Ardan

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I thought it was called cuprazin? Coppersafe is a mardel product (essentially the same I would imagine)
    You may be right, and yes they are the same - chelated copper products. We get both in the UK.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    There is Cupramine, which is ionic copper and must be accurately used, is very effective, but can be lethal if not monitored precisely!
    Copper Safe is chelated and more stable, but can take longer to act.
    I have used both, but monitoring is essential to keep the concentrations within the effective range.

Copper is most effective on oodinium.
    Don't combine with other meds.

hth
    Ardan
    Agree, particularly about the monitoring.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.