AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: cascading water fall from one sump to another

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Smile cascading water fall from one sump to another

I recently saw at a LFS with african cichlids in about 4 to 5 aquariums which were all connected to a series of sumps behind.They was even a protein skimmer, and water freely falling like a water fall from one sump to an another and a strong pump sending back water to the tank from the last sump. the guy at that LFS said that oxgenation will increase a lot with a series of water fall sump which is great for beneficial bacteria growthy within the media in the sump. I have yet to read any forum here about a waterfall inside a series of sumps or even within one compartment of a sump to another.Can any one give a few tips and light on this.Is there any on you tube about waterr fall sump?

Default Re: cascading water fall from one sump to another

Many people use air stones in their sumps to ad oxygen. I air my system considerably before the return to the tank. I have little with filtration, just roots.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    paul

Most people put a bunch of bioballs in their sump to accomplish the same thing.
    Water hits bioballs, breaks into many droplets, CO2 released, oxygen absorbed. Plus the bioballs are a great media for beneficial bacteria to grow (converting ammonia/nitrite to nitrates).
    I'd recommend doing that instead, unless you want a waterfall to look at for decorative purposes.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Anyone with a sump has a waterfall due to the water flowing down the drain line to the sump. Additionally a drip tray also adds to the water fall effect with all benefits mentioned in the first post minus the headaches/complexities of dealing with multiple sumps.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening