AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sexing Discus

Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Sexing Discus

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess this is another reason why Discus can be so expensive.

Registered Member

Some Discus are easy to spot a male (ie BD), some are harder. The only sure fire way I know is to take the pair, put them in a tank and if you get babies you have a pair. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it wright. I mean the more experienced members have the eye for spotting a potential pair but other than I don't know. But that's the fun with this hobby for ppl like me, I like cursing up a storm when I find out I either have 2 males/females in a tank hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by briztoon View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess this is another reason why Discus can be so expensive.
    I don't know if this is one of the reasons that discus are expensive. I think the main reason is the time spent not only breeding discus but taking care of fry and juvies is enormously time consuming. I even wonder if the breeders actually charge enough considering how difficult it can be to first develop a strain that breeds true and then constantly upgrading the strain to continue it's quality to say nothing of housing, feeding and water quality. Distribution and shipping are an entirely different expense.

Registered Member

Do male discus have a nuchal prominence? This is a reliable indicator for angelfish. I'm seeing it in some of my juveniles who have yet to spawn. Anybody have any experience with this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12