AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why low interest in wilds?

Default Why low interest in wilds?

When I started I was immediately attracted to the shiny sexy domestic colors and patterns (still am), but as I get more into the hobby, my favorite fish list is getting more and more Wilds on it (Tefe Green and Alenquer Reds are my current "want" fish. I really like the way they look but damn they're hard to find! Snookn21 has sold me a couple of really nice fish but they're really hard to come by. I assume that there's just as not much of a market for them?

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Why low interest in wilds?

They are seasonal as the rainy season limits collection of them due to high waters. These are all hand caught fish remember and not farmed like our widely distributed colorful domestics. And along with hand fishing comes fishing regulations and of course suppliers grading their fish and that cuts down the number of quality fish making it to the market. Most of the amazing wilds go towards asia because they will pay a LARGE amount more than us here in the states which again will cut down the numbers you see coming in here.

Up until a matter of a few years ago the states really had no constant good supplier selling/importing here. I think popularity for them is growing but because of the limited number coming in each season and a higher demand its tougher to get than any domestic. The interest in wilds is higher than ever IMO.

And just because its a wild topic who doesn't love photos of them.....

-Matt

I have high interest in wilds, but it is not available locally.
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Based on what I see on the forum and the PMs I receive I would say the interest is alive and well.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Things in the discus world are cyclical. When PB's first came out everyone wanted them (well most did, I hated them), then albinos, and goldens, and ghosts ... the list goes on! Many old timers long for such things as Schmidt-Focke red turks ...

These days most of the newer strains are being driven by the Asians, and looking at what is being produced over there I'd say the wild form is making a strong come back
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I think the majority of people turn towards the colorful fish with fresh water. Brightly colored fish are rare in fresh waters and brightly colored fish do well in BBs and sand bottoms. The focus is on the fish and can be very striking and a immediate eye catcher. For myself I love the colorful discus, but love environmental tanks, community, and interaction between those factors. So my passion leans toward wilds and their relationship with their environment. I have noticed guests react immediately with statements of WOW with the brightly colored discus and then turn toward the wilds and say very nice but then turn back to the brightly colored fish in fresh water. I think that color especially in fresh water is still a novelty. If you ask Kenny or Hans I will bet they will tell you not that many people want wilds, so breeding them and selling them would not be profitable. This is just my opinion though.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

I think most of the people that are attracted to the wilds find them unique and beautiful in a subtle way...the colors and patterns are more muted often, but the behavior is more bold... I think this appeals to people that like having a more natural look to their tanks...often with wilds, its not just the fish, its the biotope as well.

I think that many people are just naturally more attracted to the bold and flashy domestics, and so demand is created for them. No sense selling and breeding what few want...

There has been an increase in wild interest in the past few years, not just in the true wild but in the domestic tank raised wilds and wild crosses. Theres a definite market out there in wild crosses and tank raised wilds if anyone was looking for a niche..hint ...hint..

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

To me it seems more of a cycle like Paul said. Meaning (to me), that as your interest in discus grow you want to know their roots, how they look and act in the wild. You keep the brightly colored domestics starting out because first they are widely available and often cheaper than the good quality wilds, and second because they pop out color in your face. As you gain experience your interest peaks in wilds.....I wonder if I could keep them. I wonder if I can do as well as the amazon has with them. Its almost like a higher challenge. While everyone doesn't end up keeping them, I think the longer you are in this corner of the hobby you start to appreciate the wilds a little bit more.

I love me a good Blue Diamond, Red Turq, or PB don't get me wrong....but wilds are the ultimate discus. Theres something about nature giving us its version of a perfect fish forged through possibly hundreds of years of evolution that I respect a bit more than the others. Just my opinion.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Jason

I second what Coree said. The colorful Discus are what drew me into the hobby. The more time I spend on the forums, the more I like the wilds. Along those lines, I'm also a fan of the biotope, so that shapes some of my opinion around wilds vs. domestic.

My personal favorite, the first picture Matt posted. The muted body color with the bold-by-contrast lines around the body and face is by far my favorite! I don't suppose you have a wallpaper version of the first one, with your signature on it :-)?

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Jason, I'll have to dig up the original photo when I get home and see....should be able to make it any resolution you need.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    To me it seems more of a cycle like Paul said. Meaning (to me), that as your interest in discus grow you want to know their roots, how they look and act in the wild. You keep the brightly colored domestics starting out because first they are widely available and often cheaper than the good quality wilds, and second because they pop out color in your face. As you gain experience your interest peaks in wilds.....I wonder if I could keep them. I wonder if I can do as well as the amazon has with them. Its almost like a higher challenge. While everyone doesn't end up keeping them, I think the longer you are in this corner of the hobby you start to appreciate the wilds a little bit more.

I love me a good Blue Diamond, Red Turq, or PB don't get me wrong....but wilds are the ultimate discus. Theres something about nature giving us its version of a perfect fish forged through possibly hundreds of years of evolution that I respect a bit more than the others. Just my opinion.

Good points Matt... I agree.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post

I personally would love to turn my 110 into a wilds tank with discus like in Matt's photos (nice job by the way). My problem would be the water in my area. I would hate to spend the money on such beautiful discus and have them fall ill to PH swings.

I have been looking for wild reds like in Matt's photo for a long time and just never found any. Matt, what is the name of yours? What region are they from?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Originally Posted by Discus-n00b

Good points Matt... I agree

I agree that with people who are interested in natural habitat, wilds, history and back ground, tend to be a specific type of individuals, and sometimes getting domestics will spur interests in wilds, but I still think these type of people would investigate any fish or interest down the road. I think people get caught up in novelty, if a growing amount of people are vocal about wilds then it peaks their interest into wanting some wilds. I think though that the people who try wilds is something much like changing clothes or new fashion, when the newness has worn off and people do not react as well with their remarks then they sell out and go back to domestics. For most their tank is a trophy tank, beautiful brightly colored fish swimming around that demands exclamation from on lookers.
    For a few though drawn by the personality, environment, interaction and perhaps breeding will spur curiosity in the native habitat and community relationships. It would be very cool if we could find an ancient discus incased in a fossil to form some basis of evolution would be very fascinating. The real study that is missing is the rainy season. If we could monitor these fish when the waters get deep, that would help complete the cycle.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member

I would love to have some wilds but most are too expensive for me. Also, from what I can see on the forum the demand worlwide has increased dramatically from some years ago.I 'm wondering if this demand and market will this start to deplete the natural population such as our oceans are experiencing now? Just a thought.
    Jay

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    I personally would love to turn my 110 into a wilds tank with discus like in Matt's photos (nice job by the way). My problem would be the water in my area. I would hate to spend the money on such beautiful discus and have them fall ill to PH swings.

I have been looking for wild reds like in Matt's photo for a long time and just never found any. Matt, what is the name of yours? What region are they from?
    That red pictured is a "Mangal". Mark had them available this last shipment from WBSabby. Keep in mind thats basically a year under the belt with that fish, they usually will come to you from the supplier bright yellow. Just buy for potential take good care of them and they will eventually color up. It would be rare to find an already colored up wild like this for sale in the US unless someone is selling their personal stock.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast