ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CHEAP Heaters...any users???

Default Re: CHEAP Heaters...any users???

so aqueon doesn't request any proof of purchase or receipt?
    cuz I honestly don't have it.
    Discus dave.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

No they don't require proof of purchase. It says they do in their guarantee, but they don't actually require it.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    TONY

If your investment (DISCUS), isn't 'cheap', why cheap out on the heater. After all it's an integral part of your success or failure. Their lives depend on your choice. I would rather spend a little more & worry a little less. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

well i called Aqueon and they said i need to send heater with receipt back to them for 1 time replacement.
    well problem is i dont have receipts....great~
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

They've changed their policy then.

Registered Member

Take it to your local fish store if they carry aqueon products they should happily exchange it for you. The last I had one exchanged was about a year ago so policy may have changed since then. I also think the person you spoke with is BSing you since on every aqueon heater box it's printed as lifetime warranty so how can that mean 1 time replacement. Aqueon heaters in my opinion suck compared to eheim jagers only reason why people buy them is for the lifetime warranty. Lol that's why I have 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Go with cheap heaters if you have cheap discus but if you value your fish I recommend spending a little more.
    Cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Discus View Post
    Go with cheap heaters if you have cheap discus but if you value your fish I recommend spending a little more.
    Cheers
    i think the point im trying to make is that ultimately all heaters are junk. some little less junk than others.
    every brand including jager has failed eventually. u just dont know when. mostly all were totally inaccurate in temps.
    so to me only real important thing is a reliable temp controller and then replacing heaters.
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Michael

Okay, I think I'll admit that I use the dirt cheap heaters. They have been running for four or five months now without any apparent problems but that isn't saying a lot either. I'll take a picture of one of them heating. It turns red which my jager (running for 3 years now) does not do. I think it's the electricity running through the coils or something. I don't have them on a controller. They are fairly good with temperatures (staying within +0-.5F from what I measure with digital thermometers in every tank that are also dirt cheap) in my opinion. I just don't know how long they will last. I am giving them a try because of how cheap they are.

Real Name
    Rick

i think the point im trying to make is that ultimately all heaters are junk. some little less junk than others.
    I actually agree with this statement. The only real advantage I see to the newer eheims is their glass is thicker, making them less prone to breakage (that is however an important aspect of quality). As far as accuracy, they are just as off as the cheapo's. Longevity, well, we will see.

I would rather have a cheap heater on a dependable controller than an expensive heater on no controller any day of the week. Having a heater stop working is seldom a huge problem as long as you have a spare or two laying around, but having a heater stick on can be a huge problem.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I would rather have a cheap heater on a dependable controller than an expensive heater on no controller any day of the week. Having a heater stop working is seldom a huge problem as long as you have a spare or two laying around, but having a heater stick on can be a huge problem.

-Rick
    Exactly

Registered Member

I have had fish tanks in the past Arrowana's, flowerhorns, stingrays,not discus and never really cared about brand of heater, heater controller etc. With discus fish they seem to look for you to feed them they interact with you. And any discus tank should have at least 6 fish. Times that by 100-200 each thats 1,200.00 bucks hahah I don't run any heaters in my tank unless it's on a heater controller. I'm not a heater expert but let's say the aqueon vs jager at local fish store price aqueon's are 37.00 and jagers are 48.00 both are 300watts. The jager heater can maintain my 75 gallon tank at 88f but the aqueon heater can only maintain same tank at 82f, So you would need 2 aqueon's to do same job as one jager. So which is cheaper??

The question should be which heater can maintain temps similar to a jager that cost less.

Registered Member

Thanks for that heater lead. Saved in my favorites. At that price with a lifetime, you cant go wrong it seems. Thanks again

Well id rather get jager then.

Has anyone tried cascade heaters from kensfish?
    Its a cheap heater but has great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingin View Post
    I have had fish tanks in the past Arrowana's, flowerhorns, stingrays,not discus and never really cared about brand of heater, heater controller etc. With discus fish they seem to look for you to feed them they interact with you. And any discus tank should have at least 6 fish. Times that by 100-200 each thats 1,200.00 bucks hahah I don't run any heaters in my tank unless it's on a heater controller. I'm not a heater expert but let's say the aqueon vs jager at local fish store price aqueon's are 37.00 and jagers are 48.00 both are 300watts. The jager heater can maintain my 75 gallon tank at 88f but the aqueon heater can only maintain same tank at 82f, So you would need 2 aqueon's to do same job as one jager. So which is cheaper??

The question should be which heater can maintain temps similar to a jager that cost less.

Discus dave.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I actually agree with this statement. The only real advantage I see to the newer eheims is their glass is thicker, making them less prone to breakage (that is however an important aspect of quality). As far as accuracy, they are just as off as the cheapo's. Longevity, well, we will see.

-Rick
    This is what ive been saying the whole time but ppl get it from u and not me. I guess i look too cheap lol.
    Discus dave.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast