ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello, Haligonian Here!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Mark

Default Re: Hello, Haligonian Here!

Hey thanks Len, currently on a loaner phone with no camera, but I should have something by tonight. I realized it might not work before I purchased the discus so made sure I had something to move the gars (not real gars, tetras - most max at 8-9 inch's, 10 is a 1 in a 100 monster) if it becomes a problem. As for my information its been a lot of youtube video's from breeders or long term owners, some forum post's that SEEMED reputable and about a years worth of Tropical Fish keeping magazine articles. Also spoke to a girl at fanatics who purchased some from Joey in Truro a few months ago and her's seem to be thriving, but took everything she said with a grain of salt. Ecstatic you live in Halifax, I'll buy you lunch for an hour of in question's in-person or see your tanks, any time just message the profile!

Dirty Plants - Thanks for the great info, about to dive into your profile haha. I bookmarked this page (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=54275) for parasite control but hadn't considered ones with shorter life cycles (faster multiplication) so will definitely go daily's with the gravel/sand sub straight vacuums every other time, gonna buy a python today, 5 gallon bucket isn't going to cut it anymore.

As for the snails thats bad news, the MTS have had a strong presence in the tank for many months, even with a yoyo loach and a Botia kubotai (amazing loach, a little smaller then the yoyo but with much more of a golden colour and blacker markings) stuffing there faces 24/7. Been removing shells constantly, just found out they can contain dangerous to human parasites too! I've been closely monitoring there gills any body and everything seems a-okay (knock on wood) but only time will tell. I mentally prepared my sell for the worst before I purchased them, but I plan on keeping them until they wither of old age.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Mark

No phone yet, getting my dad to get some with his SLR tomorrow once the lights are on

May they live long and prosper!
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Mark

http://imgur.com/a/TnSv8#17

Pictures from today! Sorry about the iPhone 3 quality, scratched glass (led to a great deal on the tank) and glare. I'll get the SLR tomorrow with my dad's actually photography skill. The discus continue to bully the gars if they come to close. Seems to be 1 alpha discus for sure, three fight between them selfs constantly and one that seem's to hide most of the time unless it's feeding, then becomes the top dog haha. He/she was the first one to take the frozen omega one discus as food today

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Mark

I like the dark substrate and the wood. Can you clarify what you mean by flat worms?

Len

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Mark

The white poop ended up having tiny (transparent segments), some sort of intestinal flatworm according to a few hours of looking at pictures on old forum posts. I borrowed some Prazipro and dosed after a 50% water change (video was taken just before I put the prazi in) and WOW what a difference already, went to turn off the light (probably 6 hours after dosing) and for the first time in a few days they were all schooling together and I could make out the colouring of the dark one I was super worried about. Added a few plants from my guppy breeding tank today to give a few more hiding spots/filtration and got an iPhone 4 (hence the video) so the next load of pictures will be of higher quality.

Sounds like tape worms if it responded to prazi.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12