AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Garage Fishroom Project!

Default Big Garage Fishroom Project!

Ive posted little about my plans before but my friend suggested I do a build up thread. so I decided why not???

im in planning, cleaning and collecting stage simultaneously. I have a 3 car garage and the fishroom will occupy 1 out of 3 space.

Objective: To set up display show tanks of various different species of Adult freshwater fish. (right now, I don't plan to breed or raise fry)

Plan:
    one 200 gal (7x2x2') Lake Tanganyika community tank (mainly petrochromis, tropheus, featherfins, sardines etc)
    one 240 gal (8x2x2') Lake Malawi community tank mainly with Male Haps/peacocks, frontosa.
    one 240 or 300 (undecided) gal Arowana, Ray, CA/SA cichlid tank
    one 180 gal (6x2x2) BB discus community tank (in addition to 300gal discus show I have inside) - so I can have more!
    one 150 gal (5x2x2) Lowtech planted angelfish, rainbows, roselines, congo, tropical community tank.
    Three 40B gal stacked tanks for Iwagumi planted tank, QT tank etc...
    for all the big tanks 150-300gallons, I plan to run 60 gallon sump with K1 Kaldness media, poret filter sponge, filter floss set up.

All the tanks will be in separate system of its own. but will all share common drain line.
    I will also have 300gal water storage tank of aged tap water to supply water returns in Water changes. it will be heated and circulated to be ready anytime for use.
    Mag drive 24 will pump the water from storage tank individually into all the tanks.
    my goal is to spend no more than 2 hours per week on Full WC and maintenance. (to empty 240 gal and fill it should be no more than 45 min.)

so Bill from Inland Empire Discus will be helping me in the process of building the 2x4 stand/racks and plumbing all tanks.

when he came over to look at my garage and plan, we decided that without more electrical power, the fishroom idea was not gonna happen. my main panel was absolutely maxed.
    so I decided to get an electrician and he built a subpanel inside the garage and ran external conduit wires across sealing to fishroom area and 5 GFCI double outlets were installed in specific location where sumps will be put in.
    subpanel contains 4 additional circuit of 20 amps each. this will give me various ways to add more power if needed.

next phase is to clear the garage space. I need to throw away a lot of stuff...its gonna be a back breaker for few days.

im still constantly looking for equipments such as pumps etc while planning the room.
    Discus dave.

Default Re: Big Garage Fishroom Project!

Enjoy

Here are some pics of current stage of the garage.

This is where the Fishroom will be. got a lot to clean up SIGH....

This is the other 2 car garage area where cabinets will installed along whole wall. it will also have rubber mat floors so kids can play around.

u can see the new the electrical subpanel installed here:

heres a pic of 1 out of 5 GFCI outlets installed.
    Last edited by dkeef; 03-15-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Discus dave.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I thought I had a lot of stuff in my garage & basement!

Do you own any cars? Your garage looks like mine......everything in it......but cars! LOL!

Good luck with your project!

theres actually enough space to park a large SUV. this photo was taken after the electrician worked on it and he moved a lot of stuff around. normally they are against the wall. i got 3 cars but garage isnt for them! its for my fish...this is SOCAL. cars can stay out all year! LOL
    Discus dave.

here are some progress so far.
    I cleaned up 80%. started buying tanks.
    tomorrow and next week, Im buying more tanks.

Area where tanks are going:

Temporary area for my sumps and smaller tanks:

the other side:
    Discus dave.

Nick Klimkowski

Looks good Dave.

Ok so far i picked up a 180 gal acrylic tank and 200 gal acrylic tank with stand.
    Will be picking up 240 gal next week.

I am also considering a change in plan. Initially 180 was to be discus tank but then after doing so many qts and knowing discus have problem from mixing with different sources, i decided to do 3 separate smaller tanks for discus.
    I am thinking two 90 gal and one 60 gal instead of one 180.
    The 180 can be lowtech planted angelfish and tropical community tank.
    Discus dave.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    paul

I will be watching this thread with interest.
    I plan on something similar (in a basement).. Lots of different fish, automated water change.

I plan on getting a rainbird sprinkler controller and sprinkler valves. You can set up the controller to open valve and turn on the pump in the water storage area. Then after you are done filling the tanks, have the controller turn off the pump and open a valve to fill the water storage tank. I'm going to try to figure out a way to inject the dechlorinator in the process too. Of course, if you are automatically refilling the water reservoir, you need to assume it will eventually fail and have some kind of overflow drain so you don't flood (Learned that the hard way, many times).

Haven't figured out if I am going to "drain 1/2 the water and refill" or just let the fresh water overflow into the drilled drain pipe yet. Still researching what other people have done.

Anyhow, don't want to divert your thread, just some thoughts. Will be interested to see what you do.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Hey dave, I have a pump that I have never used if you want it. It came with my 125 when I bought it and I never used it. I can't guarantee it is working since it has been sitting for quite some time, but we can test it at your place and if it works you can have it. I can take a pic if you'd like.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    theres actually enough space to park a large SUV. this photo was taken after the electrician worked on it and he moved a lot of stuff around. normally they are against the wall. i got 3 cars but garage isnt for them! its for my fish...this is SOCAL. cars can stay out all year! LOL
    What's that red convertable sitting there. Thats a car.. LOL

cant wait to see the process of setting up the room

good luck
    Jerry

David pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what i got so far. Bunch of tanks laying around.
    But layout is somewhat established.

Still need 2-3 more tanks.
    Hopefully ready for build out on april 27!
    Discus dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Hey dave, I have a pump that I have never used if you want it. It came with my 125 when I bought it and I never used it. I can't guarantee it is working since it has been sitting for quite some time, but we can test it at your place and if it works you can have it. I can take a pic if you'd like.
    Thanks rick!
    Discus dave.

Nick Klimkowski

It looks like it is coming together nicely.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast