ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Refugium Filtration

Registered Member

Default Refugium Filtration

Has anyone used a Refugium type filtration on their discus tank? I was watching a video on u tube were the owner of a discus store was using a Refugium type filtration on his display tank, the first section he had micron filter socks, the second he had a planted section with lighting and the third the return pump. It reminded me of saltwater tanks using the same type of filtration except they used a protein skimmer to.

Registered Member

Default Re: Refugium Filtration

i also seen the same video,i'm very curious what people here have to said,he also comment he change water 10 times is 6 years that sound crazy,i will put a link if i can.

Real Name
    Boyd

I have had one set up for almost a year. It drains back to my wet/dry. Pictures on my page. I still change water. Just my Therapy, lol. 160 gallon with UV.

Real Name
    Wes

This one?
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

That is the one

Real Name
    Wes

120 gallon tank 15 adult discus 100 tetras with 10 water changes in 6 years. Maybe if they were guppies Or a bigger plant taking out the nitrates.

Last edited by Wes; 03-17-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick Klimkowski

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    120 gallon tank 15 adult discus 100 tetras with 10 water changes in 6 years. Maybe if they were guppies Or a bigger plant taking out the nitrates.

Yea I saw that video, I find it hard to believe only 2 water changes in 10 years.

To answer the OP, yes I have a freshwater refugium incorporated into my wet-dry sump filtration system. We all know that live plants are healthy for an aquarium as they act as a natural filter of unwanted waste products including nitrates. I wanted these benefits however I did not want fast growing stem plants inside my tank for various reasons. When I decided to design my filtration system it was also never intended for the refugium to replace regular water changes. I still do 2-3 40+% water changes per week. My refugium is loaded with hygrophila polysperma which has rooted into a sponge filter separating the refugium from my final return chamber. Water flow is 900+ gph and must flow through the jungle of roots. I am not going to debate whether or not there is an added benefit, but it does seem to help reduce nitrates. The wet-dry refugium sump filter is on my 120 gal planted/sand substrate discus tank with Amazon Swords only inside. I also have a 75 gal bare bottom with dual canister filters. When I travel out of town for business or go on vacation I always test nitrates when I return. I can say with confidence the nitrate levels in my 120 is always lower than the nitrate levels in my 75 gallon 100% of the time. Coincidence? I am not a biologist, but rather just a fellow hobbyist with my own opinion based on my experience. I found this filtration system to be highly effective. If you are one of those that would rather do 50% daily water changes, then knock yourself out. A freshwater refugium would probably not offer many benefits with that type of maintenance schedule. But if you are like me and have a busy life outside this wonderful hobby and do not have time for daily water changes, perhaps you should consider trying a freshwater refugium. As a side note, a freshwater refugium should be LOADED with fast growing stem plants. I use hygrophila polysperma. Water Sprite and hornwort are also good plants to use, however hornwort doesn't always like the higher temps of a discus tank and can be quite messy if it drops all its needle leaves.

Regarding the other youtube video mentioned in the posts above, perhaps people are too fast to cry wolf without first trying a similar design. I applaud the store owner's effort in designing an effective natural filter. Perhaps 2 water changes per year was a slight exaggeration, but only he knows.

I posted a YouTube video on my 120 discus tank a few months ago. About half way through the short vid I show the filtration system I pieced together including the freshwater refug. I am in the process of designing a similar filtration system for my upcoming 220 gallon discus tank. Personally I wouldn't do it any other way.

Last edited by tbmeck; 03-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Registered Member

That is a really setup and a great video!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    jameal

Hi all my first post here on a great website nice to meet you all.Refugiums are really great it gives you extra volume of water also acts as a great filter and the benifits of the plants helps alot.Im using a Refugium on my growing out tank with 8 discus 3 to 4 month old in a 65 gallon tank and the extra 20 gallon in the Refugium im no expert or a pro but i do think my discus are doing great they are growing very quick forgot to mention i do 40 to 50% water change every day.Have a look at my youtube video many thanks.tbmeck great video and info
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 03-24-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbmeck View Post
    To answer the OP, yes I have a freshwater refugium incorporated into my wet-dry sump filtration system. We all know that live plants are healthy for an aquarium as they act as a natural filter of unwanted waste products including nitrates. I wanted these benefits however I did not want fast growing stem plants inside my tank for various reasons. When I decided to design my filtration system it was also never intended for the refugium to replace regular water changes. I still do 2-3 40+% water changes per week. My refugium is loaded with hygrophila polysperma which has rooted into a sponge filter separating the refugium from my final return chamber. Water flow is 900+ gph and must flow through the jungle of roots. I am not going to debate whether or not there is an added benefit, but it does seem to help reduce nitrates. The wet-dry refugium sump filter is on my 120 gal planted/sand substrate discus tank with Amazon Swords only inside. I also have a 75 gal bare bottom with dual canister filters. When I travel out of town for business or go on vacation I always test nitrates when I return. I can say with confidence the nitrate levels in my 120 is always lower than the nitrate levels in my 75 gallon 100% of the time. Coincidence? I am not a biologist, but rather just a fellow hobbyist with my own opinion based on my experience. I found this filtration system to be highly effective. If you are one of those that would rather do 50% daily water changes, then knock yourself out. A freshwater refugium would probably not offer many benefits with that type of maintenance schedule. But if you are like me and have a busy life outside this wonderful hobby and do not have time for daily water changes, perhaps you should consider trying a freshwater refugium. As a side note, a freshwater refugium should be LOADED with fast growing stem plants. I use hygrophila polysperma. Water Sprite and hornwort are also good plants to use, however hornwort doesn't always like the higher temps of a discus tank and can be quite messy if it drops all its needle leaves.

Regarding the other youtube video mentioned in the posts above, perhaps people are too fast to cry wolf without first trying a similar design. I applaud the store owner's effort in designing an effective natural filter. Perhaps 2 water changes per year was a slight exaggeration, but only he knows.

I posted a YouTube video on my 120 discus tank a few months ago. About half way through the short vid I show the filtration system I pieced together including the freshwater refug. I am in the process of designing a similar filtration system for my upcoming 220 gallon discus tank. Personally I wouldn't do it any other way.

Great video I like how nice and simply your tank is I'm looking at doing the same thing with mine since it already has a built in overflow in it