AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Proposed 120 stocking, comments, critiques welcome

Default Proposed 120 stocking, comments, critiques welcome

PROPOSED STOCKING:
    14 adult discus
    3 electric blue rams
    3 German blue rams
    One L200 green phantom pleco or Bristlenose
    2 pairs of blue gularis killies OR one pair of blue gularis and a pair if a different type of Killi
    15 cardinals OR one black ghost knife fish
    Display tank. Gets 2 large WCs per week
    Tell me what you think and if this could work or not
    Tanks Is a 120 with a 40 breeder sump.

Thanks, comments, critiques welcome

Default Re: Proposed 120 stocking, comments, critiques welcome

Tank dimension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by winn0923 View Post
    Tank dimension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    48X24X24

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

R, some thoughts, I think your stocking density is too high for your WC schedule. Also reconsider the black knife fish. Are the blue gularis killies compatible with discus water conditions? A quick search shows their temperature range is 73-79° F blue gularis killies.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    R, some thoughts, I think your stocking density is too high for your WC schedule. Also reconsider the black knife fish. Are the blue gularis killies compatible with discus water conditions? A quick search shows their temperature range is 73-79° F blue gularis killies.
    I thought they would be ok at discus temps after seeing astros post in this thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=111376
    Also what other fish would you recommend not getting for the stocking to be ok for my WC schedule? Already have the discus so can't cut that number down.
    Thank you.

That's a lot of discus for that tank, IMO. With that much bioload you'd be looking at pretty serious water changes. I'd be more comfortable with 8 - 10 discus, plus tankmates, if I were working with a 4' tank. But since you already have the discus you'll have to compromise and maybe add some water changes to the schedule.

Remember that plecos put out tons of waste, so even a small bristlenose will be a pooping machine. The green phantom is a larger fish and will probably add even more to the bioload. These fish have the potential to reach 7 - 8".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That's a lot of discus for that tank, IMO. With that much bioload you'd be looking at pretty serious water changes. I'd be more comfortable with 8 - 10 discus, plus tankmates, if I were working with a 4' tank. But since you already have the discus you'll have to compromise and maybe add some water changes to the schedule.

Remember that plecos put out tons of waste, so even a small bristlenose will be a pooping machine. The green phantom is a larger fish and will probably add even more to the bioload. These fish have the potential to reach 7 - 8".
    Thanks Ryan, I think I will skip the pleco completely then. So if I skip the pleco, should I be good or should I compromise on something else?

Even without the pleco, 14 adult discus is a lot. Your best bet is just to observe and the fish will let you know. If they're overcrowded or unhappy you'll be able to tell. If the water quality starts to go south, just up the frequency of the water changes.

A few rams and cardinals shouldn't add much to the bioload in comparison to discus.

There's always the option of thinning your discus stock eventually if you end up with fish you aren't happy with or fish that haven't turned out the way you want them to.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

DiscusDude7 I know you from TPT. I recognize your fish.

Ryan what cichlid is that in your pic now??
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Even without the pleco, 14 adult discus is a lot. Your best bet is just to observe and the fish will let you know. If they're overcrowded or unhappy you'll be able to tell. If the water quality starts to go south, just up the frequency of the water changes.

A few rams and cardinals shouldn't add much to the bioload in comparison to discus.

There's always the option of thinning your discus stock eventually if you end up with fish you aren't happy with or fish that haven't turned out the way you want them to.
    Ryan right now I just have 5 in the 120 and 5 in a 55 and 5 from Kenny coming . The plan is to have all in the 120. I think that I will try to sell some fish soon.
    Thanks for the help