ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm tired....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Default I'm tired....

Been pulling my hair out worried about my two young Discus. They appeared to have bald spots over their heads. Couldn't figure out if it was a fungus, ich, or some other disease that was going to kill all my fish. Was doing 80% water change AM and PM. Totally going NUTS; however, one good thing is I did not medicate. Thanks to Youtube I now know I have 2 white butterfly Discus. God the price I pay for being ignorant is sometimes WAY to high.

You know, if I had this to do over again I would NOT do Discus. It is much easier to lose an $8 fish than a $60. And these fish don't seem to have a very strong survival instinct. The slightest thing and it's okay, i think I'll die now. Can you tell I'm REALLY tired and kind of fed up.....
    Last edited by pgrhodes1; 03-24-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: I'm tired....

how about their diet and how often they are fed?

Fill the disease questionnaire to proper diagnosing.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    Last edited by Allwin; 03-24-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Hi Allwin,

There in nothing wrong with them. On Youtube a lot of the white butterflies look exactly like my 2 young ones. Just got myself all in pucker for nothing.

Thanks for trying to help.

aah, that's OK. I misunderstood possibly..

Quote Originally Posted by pgrhodes1 View Post
    Hi Allwin,

There in nothing wrong with them. On Youtube a lot of the white butterflies look exactly like my 2 young ones. Just got myself all in pucker for nothing.

Thanks for trying to help.

Pgrhodes1 just think how much the discus appreciate your concern!! They're probably thinking, "The scary Hooman from the land of dry seems to be very worried about us. He's taking quite good care of us. I like him. We have a good Hooman."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discus is a kind of fish very hard to please, lol

So trying to please them and seeing them to have been pleased is the major fun of this hobby.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

LOL...what they're really saying is "let's lay on our sides a while and watch the Hooman turn white." Those little suckers LOVE drama....

LOL...what they're really saying is "let's lay on our sides a while and watch the Hooman turn white." Those little suckers LOVE drama....
    LOL!!!!!! That's great ... and probably true, haha.

You know, if I had this to do over again I would NOT do Discus. It is much easier to lose an $8 fish than a $60. And these fish don't seem to have a very strong survival instinct. The slightest thing and it's okay, i think I'll die now. Can you tell I'm REALLY tired and kind of fed up.....
    Well, it may be easier to lose an $8 fish than a $60 fish, but I for one think it's so much more gratifying to keep a discus than a gourami. And I disagree with you completely about their survival instinct. Discus want to live as much as any fish, any human for that matter. I've lost a lot of discus, and have decided that when they go, it's really not their fault. They don't give up, it's just that something in their environment has conspired against them. It's our challenge to figure out what that is, and to create a healthy nourishing environment. It's not easy, and certainly it's not for all aquarists. But it's for me. I don't keep gouramis.

OK, I confess, I did keep gouramis once! LOL. Hah! But I'm learning how to keep discus alive. Sort of. It's challenging, and expensive. But, still fun.

Registered Members

learning? don is being much too modest not only does he do a very good job at he has manage too get them too breed many times and sell same flawless juv

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Well my gouramis are great fish. They are beautiful, absolutely no trouble, and are hardy little suckers. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Discus but they are a LOT of work. People keep telling me the hobby is supposed to be relaxing. I should be enjoying my fish. Not so much anymore....like I said, I'm getting very tried. I have to get up at 5 am in order to do my water changes prior to work and be home right after work to do my water changes. It's getting old and knowing what I know now I would think twice before buying these fish. I will raise the ones I have and keep them till they decide something is not right and kick the bucket. After that, no more Discus.
    Last edited by pgrhodes1; 03-25-2014 at 11:56 AM.

If twice water change is too much of a burden for you, why not cut it down to once every few days?
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

Well, I certainly understand you situation. Take a break for awhile, and when you're at a point where you have more disposable time, you can start up again.

Real Name
    Adam

Keep in there I love these little round fish!! :-) there can be issues when their young but after you take care of anything wrong with them they are much hartier than most think. The first discus I bought had gill flukes from LFS it was a mess :P but I love these guys and fighting for them makes me appreciate them even more! They may not be for everyone but they are for me!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

You know I've thought a lot about the survival instinct issue. I had 4 3.5" Discus. Everything was going great until three decided they didn't like the 4th and started picking on it. It decided life was too stressful so it stayed in the corner, wouldn't eat, and eventually died. Now I have two 4" Discus who have decided they don't like the third. Guess what the third is doing?? Now try that with one of my gouramis, or the Angle fish, or Parrot fish I've owned in the past and you will have a different outcome. They are fighters and I have never had one starve to death because another fish didn't like them. Just doesn't make since to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast