AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ospreys

Default Ospreys

I have followed this Osprey pair for three years now, dubbed the Urban Ospreys. This nest is on the Potomac river just a few miles from downtown DC and in the flight path of Reagan Nat. Airport.
    They will spend some time sprucing up the nest. A little afternoon delight, with the female showing that "not again" expression. Hopefully some eggs in the next week or two. Then follow the progress thru July.

Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Default Re: Ospreys

Beautiful! Have them all around my town. We have a relatively large influx of Snowy owls this winter. A family of four moved into the dunes on the beach and another family was recently found in the marshes a few towns over. I love these predatory birds.

Nick Klimkowski

Beautiful, the pics are stunning.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lewis Chan

Very pretty pictures.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Melanie

Beautiful pics!

Gorgeous!!!! We have them here in Florida as well! They come to Biscayne Bay to fish sometimes. Beautiful pictures.

We have a relatively large influx of Snowy owls this winter. A family of four moved into the dunes on the beach and another family was recently found in the marshes a few towns over. I love these predatory birds.
    Are they still there?

I can remember in the 60s and 70s on the Eastern Shore of MD, when Ospreys were rare indeed. They have made a remarkable comeback and thrive along the Potomac because it is so easy to find fish. The nesting birds here are incredibly tolerant to city noise.
    Stan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nice photos. My favorite is the second shot because the sky has a much more appealing setting. The blown out highlights in the others is a bit distracting, but the poses are still great. Were you in the 400mm range?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Are they still there?

I can remember in the 60s and 70s on the Eastern Shore of MD, when Ospreys were rare indeed. They have made a remarkable comeback and thrive along the Potomac because it is so easy to find fish. The nesting birds here are incredibly tolerant to city noise.
    The Owls are everywhere. Very protected, but very open. Especially in Brigantine Beach, NJ.

My favorite is the second shot because the sky has a much more appealing setting. The blown out highlights in the others is a bit distracting, but the poses are still great. Were you in the 400mm range?
    Funny, I am just the opposite. I love the white on white. Any way not much of a choice. These late afternoon/sunset shots have to be overexposed otherwise the birds are to dark. Rarely I might get a pink sky. This nest is on a piling about ten yards from a dock, the nest is also about head high so you can't see the chicks until they are standing.
    Shot with a 70-200mm 2.8 lens with a 1.4 TC (FX sensor.). When the chicks are bigger I use a 400mm(+) to get in closer.
    I can darken the background some!

The Owls are everywhere. Very protected, but very open. Especially in Brigantine Beach, NJ.
    Are there still sightings now?
    Last edited by SMB2; 04-02-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Stan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Funny, I am just the opposite. I love the white on white. Any way not much of a choice. These late afternoon/sunset shots have to be overexposed otherwise the birds are to dark. Rarely I might get a pink sky. This nest is on a piling about ten yards from a dock, the nest is also about head high so you can't see the chicks until they are standing.
    Shot with a 70-200mm 2.8 lens with a 1.4 TC (FX sensor.). When the chicks are bigger I use a 400mm(+) to get in closer.
    I can darken the background some!

Are there still sightings now?
    Not bad, the highlight recovery helps a bit. You must be pretty close to use a FF sensor w/ a 70-200 w/ TC. I've tried it myself and I just couldn't see myself using it for real long stuff, even with my Kenko 1.4 TC which allows AF. I just recently sold my 70-400 as well, it was one of the best lenses in my stable. I thought I was going to purchase a 135 1.8 with the funds from that but ended up spending most of the money, lol. Back to saving now.

Anyways, when I start chatting photography I tend to ramble on. Good to see a fellow photographer. Great subjects, and very well captured.

P.S., do you do a lot of post work on your captures?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Ricardo,
    I do very little post work. Haven't used PS in 8 years. I am one of those rare Aperture users and I supplement that from time to time with NIK software.
    Here are some shots from previous years. http://sbysshe.smugmug.com/Avian/The...s-of-Old-Town/

The fact that the nest is so close and the parents so calm is why I go back several times a week (and it is 5 minutes from my house). Great practice for shooting birds in flight.
    I have a 200-400 for longer shots and often rent a 500 or 600 for special sites. Getting to old to carry those any length of time.
    Last edited by SMB2; 04-03-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    Stan

Great shots, Stan. Looking forward to following the pair through your eyes/lens. Thanks for sharing.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Yun, come to Old Town some evening and bring a camera. I can show you the nest.
    Stan

Registered Member

Awesome pictures!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast