ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Cleaning manzinita driftwood?

Default Cleaning manzinita driftwood?

Got my peices from PC1 (Manz man) a day ago and wondering how I should clean if before putting it in the tank? Can I just rinse it off with a hose and throw it in the tank or is that a bad idea? Also how can I hang it to make it look like roots?
    Thanks

Default Re: Cleaning manzinita driftwood?

They will float until they become waterlogged. You might as well just put them in the tank, and weigh them down somehow. They will probably turn your water yellowish, and they may get fuzzy for a while until they get saturated. That's what happened to mine from the same source. I don't think washing them before putting them in will do much, but you can rinse them off, sure. I've had mine for about a couple months now, and have to take them out every two weeks to hose off the fuzz. Changing water will take care of the yellowish water. After a few months, things should stabilize. HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    They will float until they become waterlogged. You might as well just put them in the tank, and weigh them down somehow. They will probably turn your water yellowish, and they may get fuzzy for a while until they get saturated. That's what happened to mine from the same source. I don't think washing them before putting them in will do much, but you can rinse them off, sure. I've had mine for about a couple months now, and have to take them out every two weeks to hose off the fuzz. Changing water will take care of the yellowish water. After a few months, things should stabilize. HTH.
    Thanks don. How long did it take for them to become water logged? Darn I was hoping they would sink..

You might actually end up liking up top before they sink. I have a lot of mine coming down from the top of the tank.
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by joanstone View Post
    You might actually end up liking up top before they sink. I have a lot of mine coming down from the top of the tank.
    Joan does the whole peice of wood float? Like on its side? The look I am going for is to make it look like a root system

It will float like that for a while. As it sinks, you can attach it (I have some pieces hooked over/attached to my overflow) so it looks like branches coming from above.
    Joan

Registered Member

My pleco/otto will eat the fuzz/slime. I usually just drop the wood right in.