ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NADA 2014 Show - The Countdown Begins

Default NADA 2014 Show - The Countdown Begins

12 WEEKS TILL SHOWTIME!!!

DO YOU HAVE YOUR HOTEL ROOM RESERVED?

HAVE YOU MADE YOUR SHOW REGISTRATION?

It is really time to start thinking about taking care of these items to make sure you are all set. I have definitely taken care of making mine. No way I'm missing out of the great time to be had. You have till May 28th to get the special NADA Room rate but don't put it off. Go ahead and make it now. Remember if something major comes up that can't be avoided you can always cancel the room. We currently have more room reservations than we did at this time before the 2012 Show. Your name needs to be added to that list.

So tell me what some of your plans are. Googles Map shows 960 miles, 14 hours for us. At this time we plan on leaving Wednesday morning so we can arrive at the hotel that night and be on hand Thursday for Setup. It is a lot of work but it is also a lot of fun and I wouldn't miss it. While I would enjoy checking out Austin, I doubt I will leave the hotel except maybe to get something to eat. We have several people in the Atlanta Metro area talking about going so hopefully we can get a caravan going.

Are you going to be there. Sound off...........lets hear from you.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Default NADA 2014 Show - The Countdown Begins

I will be there.. 3 hours for me!

Plus one of my buddy is in law school down there right in downtown Austin so we have a place to stay. I'm excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: NADA 2014 Show - The Countdown Begins

16h 46min is what its showing for me, 1170mi. Depending on the route taken, might just take 20 all the way. OUCH! Haha. I plan to drive it. Will be easier having my car there in case I want to venture out and easier to take all of my camera gear that way. Might have to spend a night on the road both ways and split it into 2 days, not sure yet really but I need to decide soon. Hotel is booked for me to arrive on Thursday, though if I can swing it I may arrive a bit early that day and help setup.
    -Matt

Hotel room ✔ Registration ✔ Wed night bar time ✔

Rich
    Rich

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I am thinking of maybe making it down for a little bit........LOL. Oh and yes everything is booked for me.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Plan on attending, this will be my very first convention ever. Since being an newbie, kinda of lost on what to do. Already joined NADA and thinking of just driving from San Antonio each day. Maybe just stay at the hotel and save on buying gas. Looking forward of seeing some great fish and to acquire a fish or two.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    16h 46min is what its showing for me, 1170mi. Depending on the route taken, might just take 20 all the way. OUCH! Haha. I plan to drive it. Will be easier having my car there in case I want to venture out and easier to take all of my camera gear that way. Might have to spend a night on the road both ways and split it into 2 days, not sure yet really but I need to decide soon. Hotel is booked for me to arrive on Thursday, though if I can swing it I may arrive a bit early that day and help setup.
    That is quite the drive Matt! I hear you on the camera gear though. I usually want to take my ThinkTank sling and end up taking my backpack because I don't want to leave stuff behind, lol.

Take some good shots buddy for the rest of us ;-)

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Will some of us meet up and go out for dinner ? i know old friends will how about us new friends who have never met or do i just book hotel dinners hehe cant wait to meet people and put avatars to faces

not that id enter fish but why does it say pH 9-10 in rental tanks? And if you see a fish you want to buy do you wait until the auction or contact seller right away, what is the protocol there? perhaps might get a wild or two !!
    Last edited by musicmarn1; 04-03-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Plan on attending, this will be my very first convention ever. Since being an newbie, kinda of lost on what to do. Already joined NADA and thinking of just driving from San Antonio each day. Maybe just stay at the hotel and save on buying gas. Looking forward of seeing some great fish and to acquire a fish or two.

I highly recommend you stay at the hotel. Even if you lived in Austin I would still recommend this. There will be groups of people staying up till the wee hours of the morning talking. You won't want to miss anything leaving and coming back daily.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    Will some of us meet up and go out for dinner ? i know old friends will how about us new friends who have never met or do i just book hotel dinners hehe cant wait to meet people and put avatars to faces

not that id enter fish but why does it say pH 9-10 in rental tanks? And if you see a fish you want to buy do you wait until the auction or contact seller right away, what is the protocol there? perhaps might get a wild or two !!
    Some will eat at the hotel and some will go out. Either way it is not just old friends. Once you get there you should find that everyone is friends and would love to have you join them. At the 2010 Show I knew very few people. I was welcomed and joined different groups at meal times. It was as easy as walking into the restaurant, seeing a group I recognized as discus people and joining them. I came away with a LOT of new friends.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

It's kinda hard to explain to someone that's never been, but when that many folks with a common interest get together it just happens automatically. You will just start talking to someone looking at the same fish you are (or they will talk to you), or just overhear a group of folks talking and join in (or someone will ask you what you think). It just kinda happens lol. Like I say, hard to explain but as many have and will confirm, everyone leaves a with a LOT of new friends!

Looking forward to seeing all my old friends and meeting new ones!
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Just made my plane reservation, can someone in Austin tell me how I should plan to get from the airport to the hotel? Is there a shuttle bus? How far is the hotel from the Austin airport? I will get there about 4pm Thursday. Thanks,
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

There is a shuttle.. all you have to do is give the hotel your arrival time and flight info and they will be there. The hotel is a straight shot from the Airport few miles west on 71. Very Easy!

I am the closest to the hotel ... with a 20 minute commute with no traffic... and I booked my hotel WED thru Sun...because I want to relax and enjoy my Wed arriving friends before the show starts or wait is that before the work begins. The Hotel is amazing... and the food there is great also. Eaten there several times and left very happy each time.
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

musicmarn1 at NADA there are no new friends, there are no old friends, there is just friends. You will not have any trouble finding someone to eat with. There is always groups going.

And now to the rest of ya'll that have not registered yet......What the hell are you waiting on? Do you realize how much you have the opportunity to learn? And not just from the speakers. You can learn just as much by talking to the other folks as you can the speakers and you end up making friends that you will have for life.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Phil

Ugh, reading all of this just bums me out that I can not attend... My wife is pregnant and the doctors have ordered her not to fly... I suppose I could drive it, but doubtful...

I guess it will have to be next year with an extra baby in tow!!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast